Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ohsohappy Posts: 1,564, Reputation: 314
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2009, 02:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by phlanx View Post
    I am also wondering, we have a natural body clock, but how does it know what time of the day, year it is without markers

Does anybody know if the natural rotation of the planet, and obviously here the moon are markers for our body clocks to know what to do?
    I learned in My psychology class that humans aren't Natrually supposed to just sleep at night, but rather when we're tired. But we've made it so that we're awake during the day (generally speaking) because that's when everything is more visible. I always feel awake at night, unless I just haven't had sleep, and I've found that for me, It's easier for me to fall asleep during the day. Not sure why that is though.
    phlanx Posts: 213, Reputation: 13

Oct 20, 2009, 02:08 PM

Hello phsohappy

Nice comment

Maybe someone can inform us why there is such a thing as a night person and a morning person?

I was always lead to believe that night time (darkness) meant sleep time, a form of hibernation for the human body due to the lack of food around in the winter time

Or that just one of those old wives tales that life is full off?
    ohsohappy Posts: 1,564, Reputation: 314
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2009, 02:47 PM
    Hello ohsohappy

Nice comment

Maybe someone can inform us why there is such a thing as a night person and a morning person?

I was always lead to believe that night time (darkness) ment sleep time, a form of hibernation for the human body due to the lack of food around in the winter time

Or that just one of those old wives tales that life is full off?
    Well that could be. Animals just sleep whenever they need to, doesn't matter what time of day it is. Why wouldn't it be the same for people?

Oct 20, 2009, 02:49 PM

Thas a fair point, it is the social structure that demands a set time for us
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2009, 10:00 PM

I didn't see the entire show, but I remember one of my cousin's watching something on TV awhile back about how people used to sleep and something about there was some evidence that people would get up and work or hunt in the morning, sleep when it was hottest in the afternoon, get back up and work in the evening again for awhile, and then sleep again. Not just like a nap in the afternoon, but more like regular sleeping periods in the afternoon and evening. I think it was for a hunter-gatherer society. Has anyone else ever heard anything about it?

I feel like a "night person." no mtter how tired I am during the day, I usually wake up more at night. And no matter how early I try to go to bed, if I have to wake up early, it's like torture.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2009, 03:00 PM
    I really don't care for Pink Floyd (maybe repressed memory from tennage years) but I just notice for the first time the words.

Eclipse - The Dark Side of the Moon Lyrics - Pink Floyd Lyrics

Eclipsed:to obscure; darken; to obscure the importance, beauty, fame, etc. of render dim by comparison; surpass; overshadow.
    "Websters Standard Dictionary 2006"

So the sun gives us all but pales by comparison to the moon. Check your dates, the next is coming up soon.:eek:
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2009, 03:06 PM

I worked in nursing homes for years,when it was a full moon the whole place would be up in arms,clients bashing each other with walking sticks,zimmer frames thrown across rooms,general havoc insued...

I dreaded the night shift on a full moon.
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2009, 03:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by redhed35 View Post
    i worked in nursing homes for years,when it was a full moon the whole place would be up in arms,clients bashing each other with walking sticks,zimmer frames thrown across rooms,general havoc insued...

i dreaded the night shift on a full moon.
    I've heard of that place 'home for veteran warewolves' right :D
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2009, 03:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by albear View Post
    ive heard of that place 'home for veteran warewolves' right :D
    Your watching too much 'father ted' bear..

It really was scary.. old people can be incredibly strong.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2009, 03:17 PM
    Hi, All!

I think that the next full moon is on November 2, 2009. Is that correct? If so, then how about we really pay attention to how we think and feel then and report about it here?

Thanks!
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2009, 03:23 PM

Lol, night of the living... just:D

Oct 26, 2009, 03:23 PM

Salvo

As long as it doesn't interfere with mydancing naked under the pale moonlight then sure I will think about it :eek:

Oct 26, 2009, 03:28 PM

Trust me - You don't :), why keep it for just one night - I thought the consensus was it was normal to feel freaky on full moons :)
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2009, 04:20 PM
    Trust me - You dont :), why keep it for just one night - I thought the concensus was it was normal to feel freaky on full moons :)
    OK fine, dance naked!:p but, some one might want to see the video!:cool: I'll just plant some plants:) I hear they do better if planted during a full moon:rolleyes:

Oct 26, 2009, 04:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Dahlia View Post
    OK fine, dance naked!:p but, some one might want to see the video!:cool: I'll just plant some plants:) I hear they do better if planted during a full moon:rolleyes:
    I do know that root matter grows better at night thanit does in the day so I wounder if strong moonlight helos this process occur :rolleyes:
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Oct 26, 2009, 05:52 PM

I'm curious, because a full moon only means that the earth is out of the way and the moon is in a direct path of the sun light.

So my question is, why would the moon being lit up fully by the sun have any different affect than usual?

If it was a matter of the moon being closer to the earth at different times then I could understand some gravitational effect.

Stringer
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2009, 05:56 PM
    Hi, Stringer!

I don't know, and that's an interesting question that you've posted here.

So, are you not or are affected in some way when there is a full moon, please?

Thanks!
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Oct 26, 2009, 06:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, Stringer!

I don't know, and that's an interesting question that you've posted here.

So, are you not or are affected in some way when there is a full moon, please?

Thanks!
    I really haven't paid any attention Clough. It does seem to make things get a bit more stressed though... maybe that is something I should pay attention to?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Oct 26, 2009, 06:17 PM

Someone asked if anyone is in tune with the phase of the moon here. I am. I almost always know what phase the moon is in, approximately. Like tonight is a half moon, waxing.

I don't know if I feel weird or anything with the full moon--the moon is actually pretty integral to my religion. You start things in the new moon (or the dark moon) and have them "come to light" in the full moon. You shouldn't attempt to start something new in a waning moon--that's for self reflection.

So I think a lot of people just go back to some of their pagan roots with the moon phases, and the full moon is a time of fulfillment--so it's that "something is going to happen" feeling that most people get--doesn't matter whether the something is good or bad. I think people get jittery with it, personally, which causes the rise in crimes and in injuries.
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2009, 06:20 PM
    The full moon occurs when the moon is on the opposite side of the Earth than the sun, so we actually see the moon, from the reflection. The new moon (I believe) is when the sun is reflecting on the otherside and we just see black.

The moon is always full (we just can't see it):rolleyes: but the circumstances of the light seem to have an effect on some of us.

I'm sure it's all different, but with AMHD members, it could be more interesting:cool: or not:rolleyes::)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Full moon and labor [ 6 Answers ]

Just a quick question for all my medical friends here, and anyone else interested... Anyone know if the old wives tale is true and there is a correlation b/w the moon and labor? Just curious... there is one coming up on the 23rd and I thought it would be a fun question to throw out there... I have...

Pegnancy madness [ 2 Answers ]

Im pregnant with my 4th child I'm 31 and can't remember my L.M.P date I know it was in feb thou beginning or middle? Im sure I have felt movement the first time was last week whilst talking to some friends I was shocked and almost laughed it of because its so soon but I've felt more since! I'm...

Rate at which moon obits the earth assuming distance between moon and earth is 382,00 [ 3 Answers ]

What is the rate that the moon orbits the earth assuming the distance between the moon and the earth is 382,000,000 meters. Should I derive from Distance=RatexTime?

Full moon and its effects [ 1 Answers ]

:) Hello' I am new to this site and think so far that it is a good one for info, here is the question... tonight while driving home I noticed that the moon was very large and orange, and for the last few days it seems that everyone I've talked with is having total disruption around them, including...

Full Moon Effect [ 19 Answers ]

I don't know if this belongs under folklore or astronomy LOL so please bear with me. I know I have heard that Emergency Rooms experience a measurable upsurge around a full moon. My office seems to get a lot more than the usual weirdness then too. I am wondering do other people or businesses feel...

View more questions Search