Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    calisto_919 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2006, 11:26 AM
    Bank Account Attachment
    I recently had a judgment against me and got served a notice of Judgement. I have a bank account that is in myself and my boyfriends name. My question is: can they legally take money out of this account or freeze and take my boyfriends money that he deposits on there if we are not married? And if they can, what can I do?
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2006, 11:28 AM
    Short answer YES, He will have to file a Motion with the court to quash the garnishment on the account. He will have to convince the court that x-amount of dollars is his only, he must be able to document the money.
    contact an attorney.
    calisto_919 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2006, 11:35 AM
    Thank you for your quick answer, I think what I might do is have him taken off our joint account and he can open his own account before they put a freeze on it and something, that way they can't touch his money.

Also does anyone know if this judgement can affect my tax return? Can they take that and use it toward my debt?
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2006, 11:39 AM
    If the a levy the account you will not be able to remove any money from it. If the have not attachted yet then remove all but 5.00, have him open a new account in his name.
    judgment_recovery_special Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2007, 11:52 PM
    Yes, There is many ways we can get the money from the Judgment, one of them is your income tax. There is No limit. If you own it, It can be taken.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bank Account Seizure [ 14 Answers ]

I was married less than a year ago. Up to this point I have had a bank account for 13 years, no problems and no outstanding debt. But my new husband has a debt that is unresolved and now creditors/collectors has put a freeze on my bank account because I recently added his name. All of the monies...

Bank Account Levy [ 5 Answers ]

I Found this post: Old Feb 17, 2006, 02:23 PM The exact thing just happened to me. (except for the just married part) Someone replied that she needed to file a motion to Quash. Could anyone please tell me how to go about this? The debt is for child support arrears out of CO, and we're in...

Bank Account Garnishments [ 5 Answers ]

My bank account was recently frozen by a company for a vehicle I co-signed for with a friend in 1999 who had insufficient credit. It was repossessed without my knowledge until much later :mad:. The car was purchased solely for my friend to use as I had a car;never drove it or rode in it. Both of...

Can they freeze my bank account [ 2 Answers ]

One more question if I was to get A judgement. Can they freeze my bank account There nothing in it. The only money that's coms is my s.s disabilty every month?? :confused: :confused: :

Attachment of bank accounts [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference in freeze vs attach a bank account? Under what conditions can this be done? Is there any fore warning when this is to be done? What are the ways to get around this saga?

View more questions Search