Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BeckiT Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2004, 08:57 AM
    BeckiT
    I have a 12 week old Cairn Terrier. She is doing well with potty training, a few accidents in the house, but not many. The problem is that she starting peeing in her crate every night about 3 weeks ago. I've washed and washed the bedding and even replaced the bedding and the location of the crate as suggested by the vet. I'm thinking her crate may be too big. It is about 20"by 12" and she can freely move around in it. Should I replace it with a smaller one? Also it is a canvas one, maybe it is retaining the marker even though I scrub it down...
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 13, 2004, 10:27 AM
    Re: BeckiT
    I don't have near the confidence in a smaller crate some people do. I have started many puppies in a 36'' crate with no problems. Of course none of them were your Cairn Terrier. With some puppies, a smaller crate might help. You might try blocking part of it off with something, even cardboard might do.

Here are some other things that might help:
    Housebreaking starts before you get home with the new puppy. If you don't have
    A crate, buy one. I prefer the more enclosed, den like plastic ones. Skip the
    Bedding. At first it gets wet, and later it can be chewed into choking
    Hazards. A wire rack in the bottom will help keep the puppy up out of
    Accidents at first. They are available with the crates, but a piece of closely
    Spaced wire closet shelving from a home supply place is cheaper. If you
    Already have a metal crate, covering it may help. Just make sure you use
    Something the puppy can't pull in and chew. Dogs that start in crates as
    Little puppies, accept them very well. Never leave an unattended puppy loose
    In the house. If nobody can watch it, put it in the crate. I suggest letting
    The dog have its crate all its life.

She could be doing it in protest of being crated. It is important not to let her take over and run the house. A top dog is not a drill sergeant, but a more equal among equals. Having a good pack structure reduces such problems. The dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members
    Outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by
    Reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class
    Or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with
    A treat. Start at http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/. If you do take such a young puppy to a class, make sure they require everybody to have proof shots. Even if she has had all her shots, she may not have developed the immunity she needs.

Starting so young, it is much easier to teach obedience. You must keep sessions very short, maybe only a few repetitions at a time. In a month or 2, you will have her trained using only spare moments you never missed. You will also establish a foundation of good behavior and the correct relationship with her.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search