Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    across4335 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2009, 02:28 PM
    Maple tree transplanting
    I am transplanting a 5 year old red maple. The roots broke. Is the tree going to be OK?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 3, 2009, 02:30 PM

I doubt very much if you can relocate that tree and have it thrive. If it doesn't have part of the tap root, then there is no use trying to transplant it.

Tick
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2009, 03:04 PM
    Hi, across4335!

In what manner did the roots break and what is the location, (state, country, etc.) where you're trying to transplant the tree, please?

Thanks!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2009, 04:25 PM

Maples don't have tap roots.
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Oct 3, 2009, 07:10 PM
    Hi! across4335, and welcome to AMHD :)

Quote Originally Posted by across4335 View Post
    I am transplanting a 5 year old red maple. the roots broke. Is the tree going to be ok?
    Yes, maple is rather resilient. You want a root ball the same or a bit bigger than when you planted it. Best to do early in the Spring. Dry months would be worse. 

It can help to do after a good soaking rain(s) or soak the ground well so dry dirt doesn't fall off the root ball, before you start digging.
    Soaking the day before will help from being too muddy. 

Usually when transplanting a deciduous tree, the first year or two after the transplant, more energy is spent repairing root loss than branch growth. (You often have branch loss from root loss). 

Look for slow release fertilizer tabs. Some you can put right up against the roots, some you have to keep a foot or so away. 
    Water well especially during dry periods. Slow soak, you want the water down where the roots have been cut off. 

If you live in an area where high winds can knock the tree and root ball over, you may need support stakes. Most arborists now recommend removing support stakes once the disturbed earth and root ball has settled and re-solidified so that the support stake doesn't weaken the tree trunk. (wind does a lot of cellular stiffening) 

Avoid planting deciduous trees anywhere near a leech field or cesspool, Leech field, cesspool illustration
    Especially weeping willow and maple. 
    Their root systems can be terribly invasive. Amazing how far away they can 'find' water. 

Maples (because of their invasive and dense root system) will compete and win a battle for moisture under their canopies. Once mature, it can be almost impossible to have a lawn under them. 
    Don't try to have a compost pile under one. A maple will thrust its root system up into it and suck all the nutrients out before you do.

Red maples are usually slower growing than green maples. You may be long gone before you need to cut it down because of what its roots are damaging. 
    This can include mold damage on your house because it was planted too close and the dense canopy allowed mold to grow from lack of sun. 

K

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maple Tree [ 3 Answers ]

How do I go about selling a maple tree? Thanks.

Transplanting Douglas Fir tree [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I need to transplant 2 douglas fir trees from the back yard to the front. They are 6 feet tall and 10 years old. Can I do it myself? And How do I do it?

Maple tree [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am removing maple tree and I want to plant Dogwood close to that area. How can I remove maple tree roots to plant Dogwood? Thank you Paul

Which red maple tree? [ 1 Answers ]

PLease help me decide which red maple tree to plant. I live in Greensboro, NC and the site is in full sun with somewhat clay soil. I am looking for a beautiful fiery red tree with a good shape. I am confused about the cultivars "October Glory", Autumn Flame, or Red Sunset. The pictures I have...

Transplanting tree [ 1 Answers ]

I just moved into a one year old home. The old owners planted a jap. Maple too close to the house. How deep would the root system be? And when is the best time of the year to transplant it?

View more questions Search