Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nancy grush Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2006, 10:20 AM
    Floor furnace
    I live in Baton Rouge, Louisiana in a house built 1917 circa. Heat is by a large gas floor furnace in a hall that connects the dining room, a bathroom, and two bedrooms. In the living room is a gas log and in the kitchen is a room air/heating unit. We've lived there since 1997 and the floor furnace has never given us problems until this year. We learned that the pilot generator and gas valve need to be replaced for about $500.00.

I'm wondering if investing in an energy efficient heating system would be preferable to repairing the floor furnace, which appears to have been manufactured in 1992.

Another option is to buy two small electric heaters because my husband and I are both hot natured and prefer less heat than most people. For example, we usually do not sleep with any heat on and would turn the furnace on for just an hour or two in the morning and evening on particularly cold days.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2006, 03:29 PM
    Where I live NG floor heaters have been illegal for years, I haven't even seen one since around 1989. I don't know your square footage or electric rates. But it seems to me, for $500, you can run a couple electric baseboard heaters for years in Baton Rouge. Personally if I had an old AC unit I would just replace it with a heat pump.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My intertherm furnace pilot lights but furnace won't kick on [ 5 Answers ]

I need some diagnostic help. We have a full propane tank. A new burner plate (last year) and the blower works. We light the pilot but the knob should pop up after one minute thus lighting the furnace. It won't pop up. What part should we replace? The furnace is a 17 year old Intertherm MGH...

Old Floor Furnace [ 2 Answers ]

I have a house which was built in the early 1950's. It had one of those hallway floor furnaces which has long been removed. There is an electrical switch in the hallway which no one knows what it was for. Could this switch have been to operate the old floor furnace. P.S. If old floor furnace...

Floor Drain... [ 1 Answers ]

SpeedBall1, Your help in the pass have been very helpful and appreciated. I got one quick question for you: I want to replace my rusted floor drain with a new plastic one, just that simple... however it looks like the old rusted 2 inch floor drain has a vent 1/2 inch pipe attached to left...

Raising a floor drain in concrete floor [ 2 Answers ]

I have an old concrete floor with a newer pvc type drain. The floor slopes about 1.5" over 2' around the drain so I would like to raise the drain in order to level the floor to install ceramic tiles. I'm still going to ensure the floor slopes toward the drain just enough. I figure I need to...

Laminate floor [ 1 Answers ]

I'm installing a pergo product over a vinyl kitchen floor, do I need to remove the vinyl to the wood sub-floor? Or can I install right on to the vinyl? Also do I have to use an underlayment since the kitchen is over the basement, no sound or moisture issues? I have been advised by both ways on this...

View more questions Search