Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    prettygirl101us Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2006, 09:23 AM
    The Civil War (US)
    Which was not part of the Union's threepart plan to conquer the South?

a. blockade southern ports c. capture the Confederate capital
    b. draft freed slaves to fight for the union d. split the Confederacy in two

What was the aim of "total war" as practiced by Union generals Grant and Sherman?
    a.to fight until the Confederacy had no army left c.to wage war in every part of the south
    b. to break the southerm people's will to fight d.to use the most lethal weapons available
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 1, 2006, 11:08 AM
    I will answer this with some true answers which will most likely be wrong as taught in our public schools,

So while what I have to say about is the truth, a lot about the civil war has been re-written to meet political and politically correct vew points.

The movemement to free the slaves did not happen till the end of the war and was not part of any of the original plans, it was not till much latter when the North believed they were actuallly losing the war, that they set the slaves free in an attempt to get them to turn against the slave owners and cause problems within the south ( this never happened)

They attempted to break the peoples will, but stopping them from having food, clothes and supplies. ( the north did not have the troops or man power to destroy the southern army) they were not able to bring the war completely into the south except on some specific movements to split the south into two sections, and both sides were fairly equal on types of weapons.

This is likely to get your failed in school, but take time and actually read about what really happened in the invasion of the south by the north.
    worthbeads Posts: 538, Reputation: 45

Nov 20, 2006, 08:07 PM
    The first question is either C or B. The second question is either B or C. If it helps, Shermans Total war contributed to Lincolns reelection by raising Union Spirits.
    LulahB Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Nov 20, 2006, 08:33 PM
    B and B

I teach American history and the 1st gentleman's answer would not get him failed in my class. It would be very nice if we had fought a war in order to end slavery instead of just over issues of economics and states rights. It is far more romantic an idea, but it just isn't true. Just like WWII wasn't about helping persecuted peoples of Europe. With history questions in school usually tests come from specific lists that the text book writers write without any common reference point. For instance I could write a book that states the 5 most important aspects of the Revolutionary war and they could be different from another text book's list of 5, so be careful,

But even after the emancipation proclamation there were not many ex slaves drafted into the army. Also total war referred to the idea of war against the southern army in battle fields, but also moral damage by burning fields, damaging and seizing civilian homes and cutting off food and supplies to the soldiers families to make them rethink the war.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What was life like in America in the Civil War? [ 5 Answers ]

What was life like in the Civil War in America, like what kind of jobs did people have; What things did they do for entertainment? What were their clothes like?

Civil summons [ 11 Answers ]

What is the civil summons process?? How long does the deputy have to deliver the summons.? We hired a contractor to do a job and he didn't return to finish the job after receiving a draw. This is SC (( Columbia )) If our addresses turn up negative for delivery from the deputy what is the next...

Civil War [ 1 Answers ]

The 'North' and the 'South' were not different nations. I'd base my argument around defining a nation (no easy job). Then, go onto who benefits from calling it "War of aggression"? it’s a highly emotive name. In what ways did events fit that description? And Who benefits from calling it...

Spanish Civil War [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I hop eyou can help me. Does anyone know the main events which decided the end of the spanish civil war? Stephanie

African American History after the civil war [ 1 Answers ]

I got a couple of questions... ;D 1. What was presidential reconsturction? What policies concerning Freedmen are most associated with it? 2. What was congressional reconstruction? What are the greatest and/or enduring accomplishments of this era? 3. What were the black codes? 4. What...

View more questions Search