Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    0eyvind Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2009, 05:28 AM
    Rescuing old files from broken down PC
    Hello.
    In January this year my old PC broke down. Suddenly one day when I tried to boot my PC, and no signal was detected on my screen, no beep when turning it on, no windows startup sound - nothing.
    I researched a bit and it turned out it must've been the motherboard which had burned down.
    I was on the market for a new PC anyway, so I thought that this was a good time for that.

Now after 9 months I need some of the files from my old PC. Pictures, videos and documents.

What I was thinking was - "Wouldn't I just be able to put my old HD into my new PC?".
    And that's what brought me back here.

The question: Is there any way to transfer my files from my old PC/HD to my new PC/HD?

Cheers!
    0eyvind
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2009, 06:50 AM

As long as the drive is not damaged, this is a pretty easy thing to do. I would refer you to my April 26 answer to this problem.

If the interface type on your old and new computers is the same (EIDE vs. SATA), you could just pop the old drive into the new computer (assuming it is a desktop). You would only need a SATA cable if that is the interface type--EIDE should just pop in. If the new computer is a laptop, you'll have to go with an external USB enclosure.

Best of luck,
    WallyH
    0eyvind Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2009, 11:26 AM

Ok thanks!
    I'll try to get a hold on a USB enclosure. Then I can use it for backup after that.
    Again, thanks!

0eyvind

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to convert rar files over to playable DVD files? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to convert rar files over to dvd files. I can't seem to find any software that will allow me to convert. Need help... Thanks...

Convert garmin files to esri .shp files [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a file conversion utility to conver garmin track/ waypoint files to ESRI .shp files or ESRI .shp to Garmin format

Rescuing plants [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I rescued several burning bush, and weigela plants that were being thrown away. The stems are still green, but the leaves are dead. I live in Myrtle Beach SC.Should I prine them all the way back and plant them and see what happens. Should I feed them. I am rather new to gardening....

Nba live 2004 crack files/patch files [ 2 Answers ]

Can anybody help me find the crack and patch files on nba live 2004. I badly need it co'z I don't have a cd rom which is needed to play. You may send it to my email add.>Removed<

View more questions Search