Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2009, 04:52 AM
    Identifying a weed
    Hi,
    I have looked through the sticky about identifying plants and had a look at the links and could not find this one...

I don't know whether anyone will be able to help me as I am in Australia but I thought it was worth a shot :)

Climate here is fairly wet (it has rained every weekend for the last 21 weeks) the weather is cold (average about 10 - 15 degrees Celsius over the past few months)

The weeds were there when we moved into the house 7 months ago but only in one corner... every time we mow the lawn they spread, now it has gotten to the point of stupidity where we no longer have ANY lawn!

If no-one knows what they are can anyone just give me some tip on how to get rid of them, or stop them spreading any further? (Backyard is split in 2 halves with a path down the center, one half is fine, the other half is covered in them)

The photos below are of the offending weed...
    First one is a close up of the group,
    Next one is one I pulled out the ground
    Next one is of the flower it produces (not many at the moment as it's only just the beginning of spring)
    Last one is just to show how far it has spread!!
    Attached Images

KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Oct 3, 2009, 06:31 PM
    Hi,shazamataz :)

At first glance, I would say "you don't have to go far for your salad"
    (thinking :rolleyes:... dandelions), but

From Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, 1594:

JULIET: 'Tis but thy name that is my enemy; Thou art thyself, though not a Montague. What's Montague? it is nor hand, nor foot, Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part Belonging to a man. O, be some other name! What's in a name?

that which we call a rose By any other name would smell as sweet;

So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd, Retain that dear perfection which he owes Without that title. Romeo, doff thy name, And for that name which is no part of thee Take all myself.

William Shakespeare
    Greatest English dramatist & poet ((baptized 26 April 1564 – died 23 April 1616)
    Didn't know you were going to get some culture, did you? :)

We take you back to our regularly scheduled programming...

The weeds web site that is jointly administered by the Australian Government departments of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry and the Environment and Water Resources doesn't recognize The common dandelion (Taraxacum)

Search for weeds

But they do recognize Skeleton Weed (SK WD) (Chondrilla juncea)  :
    http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:V...lla_juncea.jpg

It's kind of throwin' me because your pixs show the florets blooming on an individual stem, where SK WD blooms like this:

Your pixs also don't show it bolting to those floret stems

If you feel industrious, you could dig up a specimen to check the root formation.
    If it has a vertical main tap root with thin lateral sub-roots it is closely related to Taraxacum
    dandelion, Taraxacum officinale (Asterales: Asteraceae)

Pictures of Dandelions | Removal | Killing Dandelions

If it has a horizontal (think rhizomes) main tap root with stubby/thick lateral sub-roots it is closely related to Chondrilla and will be much harder to eradicate.
    rush skeletonweed, Chondrilla juncea (Asterales: Asteraceae)

See 'bout halfway down:
    Information about rush skeletonweed - Chondrilla juncea

In California:
    http://www.alternatives2toxics.org/p...eletonweed.pdf

Now for the "meat an potatoes"...

I'm leaning more towards Taraxacum (common dandelion). Get yourself a weed herbicide that you know handles Dandelions. Can be liquid with hose attachment or solid, that you apply with a spreader.

You could apply the hose liquid now, the solid if you have a hand spreader.
    Check your chances for rain If it's going to rain for several days wait.

If rain is within a day or so; before you apply, wet that side of the yard (not only does it allow faster penetration of the herbicide, but also scoots the dogs ;) ) . Wait 5days, then cut that side of the yard. Apply again, check for rain conditions, apply again.

At the end of several (3), approximately two weeks)) cycles of application you should see improvement.

K
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2009, 07:27 PM

In the US the flowers grow on single stems and the stems are hollow. There is a milk like substance that appears when you cut them.

After the flowers blossum, they turn white and are easily spread.

You can treat the whole lawn and then spot treat.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2009, 07:36 PM

I can tell you one thing Shaz,its not smokable :)
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2009, 06:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by artlady View Post
    I can tell you one thing Shaz,its not smokable :)
    Hahaha if it was smokable I would not be wanting to kill it, I would be wanting it to grow bigger :p

Thank you KUXJ for that info, very helpful!
    If I use a herbicide what do I do when it all dies?
    Just pull it all out of the ground and put lawn seeds in?

Oct 4, 2009, 10:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Hahaha if it was smokable I would not be wanting to kill it, I would be wanting it to grow bigger :p
    shaz, could you send a sample? eddie wants it for Scientific study, of course... :rolleyes:

Thankyou KUXJ for that info, very helpful!
    If I use a herbicide what do I do when it all dies?
    Just pull it all out of the ground and put lawn seeds in?
    Your welcome.

If you purchase a broadleaf specific 'cide, and use it as recommended, it should have little to no affect on the rest of your lawn.

If it all dies, then you had no lawn to begin with. :eek:

In any event, I would just rake or if you have a mower/bagger use the lowest setting and dispose of the residue (bag&trash).
    It does no harm to leave the dead root systems, eventually nature will take care of them for you.

Scratch the topsoil, sow grass seed, cover with straw or equivalent, then water... or use for whatever you desire, a new tree? Herb garden?

K
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2009, 12:25 AM

Ran out of greenies but thank you again!

We just want the lawn to grow back, not planning on anything special for that area. There are still small amounts of lawn underneath all those weeds so hopefully it will just grow back itself after we kill it and mow it!

I'm glad you said we didn't have to pull it all out! :eek: :D
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2009, 12:26 AM
    Oh and one more question, are the herbicides safe for dogs or should we block off that area?

Oct 5, 2009, 07:52 AM
    Oh and one more question, are the herbicides safe for dogs or should we block off that area?
    The most critical time can be up to two days after application. Not only can they absorb the 'cide through their paws, but also from grooming their fur later, and of course direct ingestion from licking or eating the foliage.

See also, as long as it's dried off:
    Plant Diseases: SAFE WEED CONTOL & Dogs??, broadleaf weeds, killing plants
    This is an expanded version of what I was explaining for you to do, and an adjunct to the first link:
    Lawns: SAFE WEED CONTOL & Dogs??, pets dogs, safe store

But then there's alway's another side to the tale...

Pet Safe Lawn Care; Protect your pet, use Organic, pet safe lawn fertilizers
    Lawn Pesticides, herbicides, fungicides may cause cancer in dogs

And always willing to expand my education, Lord knows there's plenty of room up there. :rolleyes: all right eddie you can stop laughing now..

If you can catch a showing of this program on our PBS somehow, watch it!
    Ghost in Your Genes or see below ▼

I've always been interested in genetics, and this report is on a sub-folder our genes have, called epigenes.
    I saw a showing listed, and auto-tuned it. I didn't leave for a second of the 50minutes.

I almost fell offa' the sofa when as, the research scientist was describing the impact of pest/herbicide's on the genome, they had a helio/boom sprayer coming over a ridge in a field.

Image only a representation, borrowed from this site:
    BPC hearing

If you have a podcaster that plays M4v files, copy/paste this into it.
    http://feeds.pbs.org/~r/pbs/wgbh/nov...pigenetics.m4v

As you can tell, I am sensitive to the subject, because the lower third of our property is wetlands, and County Vector comes, and fogs for West Nile Virus when they find mosquito specimens that have the virus.
    Their warning?.
    • Close all openings to dwelling.
    • Wait 2hours before coming out of the dwelling, or leave for the day.
    • Wash all veggies/fruit thoroughly, twice.
    • :eek:
    • DW, and me can taste it for several days later.
    • :(

Bottom Line...
    If you really care 'bout your animals, and yourself. You will hand dig/eradicate the offending weed.

But the fight against Mother Nature is always an uphill battle, that's why man created “helpers” for control. As long as the product is used as directed, and look, it should have a warning for pets, if needed. It should be safe. Still, adhere to the 24/48hour rule for non-contact.
    If your still unsure, call the 800# that should be listed on the package for the manufacturer of the product.

Even I have been known to use helpers, and I remain extremely careful, when doing so.

Please, If you need further clarification, don't hesitate to post back.

Steve... aka... k
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2009, 11:28 AM

Oh wow... they will be going no-where near it if I use herbicide!! I know it says that it should be safe if it is dry but after reading the article about the cancer risk being 4-7 times higher... no way!
    Shouldn't be hard to just rope that area off, or use stakes and chicken wire ;)

That sprayer is insane... I wouldn't want that anywhere near my property... surely that can't be right that they are allowed to do that :(

Oct 5, 2009, 06:56 PM
    Oh wow... they will be going no-where near it if I use herbicide!!!! I know it says that it should be safe if it is dry but after reading the article about the cancer risk being 4-7 times higher... no way! Shouldn't be hard to just rope that area off, or use stakes and chicken wire ;)
    See here for natural repellent help, not too crazy 'bout the Chili Pepper it could get into the eyes:
    Natural Homemade Dog Repellents
    This one's for most critter's, Does stink though until it dries:
    Homemade Liquid Fence Recipe

Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz;201 4769
    That sprayer is insane... I wouldn't want that anywhere near my property... surely that can't be right that they are allowed to do that :(
    Did you read the BPC link?

I'm off to post a thread in astronomy, see you!

K
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2009, 08:34 PM
    I don't think I have ever seen so many dandelions!:eek:
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2009, 04:19 AM

It's scary Dahlia!

KUXJ I went out today and bought a herbicide that the gardening store recommended... it is one that has to be dry before the dogs can go on it like your link said but I am still leaning towards the natural remedies...

I may just use this one on the front yard where to dogs don't go or at least get some stakes and wire to block it off the section at the back... yeah I know, I panic :o

On a completely separate note I planted some flower seeds 3 days ago and they are already an inch high :eek:
    The packaging said it would take 2-3 weeks for them to 'sprout'!!
    At the rate they are going I will be putting them in the garden in the next few days!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weed Trimmer(weed eater) [ 3 Answers ]

I need step by step help on re-installing a (recoil) starter rope on a weed eater. If by chance you have diagram of how to put it on , I sure would appreciate it , any info will be appreciated ty denise

Identifying an etching [ 1 Answers ]

What is an etching? Is it the same as a print or more or less valuable? I have a 1936 "original" etching of a Louis Breton work called The Loing River - copyrighted 1936 by Camilla Lucas. What have I got and what is its value? It's 28" X 32" and framed.

Help identifying a plant... [ 5 Answers ]

Someone told me that it might be an African Euphorbia of some kind. Is that right? (the leaves are flat, not bulbous) http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/3012/cactus4cb.jpg

Identifying Forces [ 5 Answers ]

A block of dry ice resting on a table is given a brief push. A moment later, what forces act on the block?

View more questions Search