Uber Member

Oct 3, 2009, 03:54 AM

What is "demand long"?
    pradeep gupta Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2009, 04:44 AM

Its demand loan
    rehmanvohra Posts: 739, Reputation: 27

Oct 3, 2009, 05:02 AM

A loan payable on demand is considered a short term liability since the lender can demand repayment immediately under given circumstances.

Oct 3, 2009, 05:19 AM

Thanks

Oct 3, 2009, 05:24 AM
    Is it correct to consider investment as non current asset
    Because investment is done out of surplus funds and not avialable for company use

Need your inputs

Oct 3, 2009, 05:33 AM

Depends on the intention of the management. If the investments have been made from surplus funds, the usual contention is that the investment has been made for a temporary period.

A long term investment takes the form of investment in shares of another company with a view to achieve control. This is evidently for a longer period and hence shown as Long Term Investments.

Oct 3, 2009, 05:48 AM

Can u please advice Will short term investments qualify as current assests

In my view no beause as reasons given before

What is your view

Oct 3, 2009, 10:05 AM

Pradeep, I have made it clear that if the investment is for a temporary period then it can be classified as current asset.

Is it correct to consider investment as non current asset
    Because investment is done out of surplus funds and not available for company use
    Your statement is not clear. Literally taken you suggest that:
    1. Investment is made of surplus funds, and
    2. Not available for company use.

When you use "and" do you mean to say that the Investment is not available to company use?
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2009, 06:28 PM

I think this is a bit confusing too. As rehmanvohra suggested, surplus funds are generally intended to be temporary so that the surplus funds are not just sitting around being useless.

In post #8 you said "short-term" investments. That implies to me that it's current, yes.

The word "intent" is important here. What may actually happen in the long-run cannot be known 100%, but you follow what the company's intent is -- that is, what do they think they're going to do? If they're meant to be short-term usage of surplus funds, I don't understand why they wouldn't be available for use. "Not available" to me implies either that these funds are for a longer-term usage and the company chooses not to have them available for other uses, or that there has been some kind of restriction placed on something.

If this is for homework, it might be useful to quote it exactly. If it's real stuff, then you need to find out more about it, or just stick it some place and allow your accountant to straighten it up later.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Duration [ 1 Answers ]

I do not know how to get started, I need to find the duration of a fixed rate loan. Fixed rate loan asset is 65 million Have 5 year maturity, are priced at par and pay 12 percent annual interest. Thank you

Duration [ 1 Answers ]

Is Duration better way to compare cash flows than simply comparing present values because Duration incorporates cash flow volatility or because Duration effectively treats cash flows as a perpetuity ,incorporating the reinvestment rate?

Liablity on renters pool [ 3 Answers ]

Can a tenant put up a pool on the backyard that they are renting? If so who is liable if someone gets hurt or drowns

Credit card liablity after a death [ 1 Answers ]

My sister lived with her boyfriend who died a few weeks ago and left several credit card balances. She keeps getting collection calls telling her she has to pay them off, but she did not apply for any of these herself. Is she liable for credit card?

View more questions Search