Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NeedU2A Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2009, 12:13 PM
    Florida civil law on serving court papers
    I have tried to have the defendant served by certified mail with failed attempt,I have paid the sheriff's dept. to serve papers with 5 failed attempts.I cannot keep spending money on this civil case yet I want my day in court to collect what is owed to me (just under 1,000.00) how can I bring this before the court when the defendant is too knowledgeable on how to avoid being served? I live in Florida.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2009, 05:31 PM

You need to hire a private process server to serve the papers. You give the process server all the pertinent information about the person being served such as physical description, make, model, color of vehicle they drive, where they work, where they live, etc. When is the best place to serve the person as well as the best time. The sheriff's dept is not going to give you good service as they don't have to. Whereas a private server will go out of their way to get the person served. As a former paralegal in South Florida I would use private servers and get good results IF I would give the server all the information I had available to me to help them get the person served. Just handing someone a Summons and Complaint and a name and address is not going to cut it with the sheriff's department. It will be money well spent when you use a private process server. I've had private process servers serve defendants at 4AM at their home when they had just gotten home from a party!

Just get another set of papers issued from the Clerk and get a private process server on their behind. You'll get results quicker than the sheriff's office ever will get you. You probably went with the sheriff's office as they were cheaper.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 2, 2009, 05:53 PM

Yes a good process server ( private) I used to do it and seldon failed to find my person

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Serving papers for small claims court [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Arizona. I want to file small claims papers on someone who lives in Del Rey California. I hear there's a way to have the papers dropped at the door. I already know this person is going to avoid being served because they have ignored my phone calls and a regular letter I sent certified....

Court papers [ 1 Answers ]

If its your week and the spouse wants the child a day early do you have to give them to that person if you have court ordered papers that say every other week Sunday at 6pm to Sunday at 6pm,

Court papers [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I was just wondering,, I was charged with thieft over $200 dollars and was fined $400 dollars, 29 years ago, I went to the courts and they told me my court papers was destoyed, and had a document given to me as prof,, and also have a Metis Indian Status card,, but I'm still on the police...

Serving small claims papers [ 3 Answers ]

I am taking someone to small claims court. I had a friend take the papers to be served to this persons house, they refused to answer the door, my friend said they were standing and talking where she could see them, but since they did not come to the door for her to serve the paper to she took the...

View more questions Search