Ask
    sukarsimba Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2009, 10:28 AM
    centre of gravity
    A car has 2 axles.
    Weight on front axle = 6kn.
    weight on rear axle = 4kn.
    distance between axles =250 meters.

Calculate centre of gravity using the information provided.

part 2 -
    A weight of 200kg is placed 0.5 meters in front of rear axle.
    taking the value of gravity as 9.8, calculate the weight front and rear axles now support.
    simple formula for a dummie would be great.thanks for looking.
    sukarsimba Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2009, 10:29 AM

Sorry... distance between axles is 2.5 meters
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2009, 11:08 AM

a) Ok, use the principle of moments to find this.

This is similar to:

You have a plank of length 2.5m with negligible mass. Two weights, one 4kN (placed at the left of the plank) and the other 6kN (placed at the right of the plank) are placed at opposite ends of the plank. Where do you think the pivot will be, if the system is in equilibrium

With a sketch, the anticlockwise moment is given by (4kN*x) where x is the distance from the rear axle to the pivot, or the centre of gravity. The clockwise moment is (6kN*[2.5-x]).

Since the system is in equilibrium, both moments are equal, so:

4kN*x = 6kN*[2.5-x]

Solve for x, the distance from the rear to the centre of gravity :)

b) Make use of your sketch again.

Use the principle of moments again:

Take the rear axle as the pivot. The moment due to the weight is 200*0.5 clockwise. The axle has to provide the same turning moment so that the system is in equilibrium. The moment about the front axle is given by F*2.5, where F is the force acting on it.

So,

200*0.5 = F*2.5

Solve for F to have the force on the front axle.

You can do the opposite for the rear axle. However, there is a shortcut. Since you have 200 kg, and you just found the weight that is on the front axle, the rest of that weight rests on the rear axle. So, subtract your answer to the force F from 200.

I hope it helped! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Off Centre Shower in New Tub [ 7 Answers ]

Hi There, We've recently had our old tub replaced with a whirlpool tub that is a bit wider, and the shower, faucets, etc. are now off to one side rather than aligned with the drain and centre of the tub. Is there a way to realign them by a few inches without ripping everything out and...

Questions for fan centre [ 1 Answers ]

What is the purpose of the wiring leading in and out of the fan centre. and the voltages carried by the various coloured wires.

Centre of rotation of a triangle [ 8 Answers ]

I am lost to figure out where would be the centre of rotation of triangle #1 to Traingle #2.. No idea where to start.. Any one please help me? Or show me a direction? Ex. Triangle #1 has these coordinates: (3,4), (7,4), (3,7) Triangle #2 has these coordinates: (3,2), (6,2), (3,-2) ...

Name for centre [ 4 Answers ]

My family (we live in Australia) are thinking of starting/ buying a child care centre and are looking for a catchy name like here are some name of already child care centre names We want something like these Sesame Lane ABC Learning Centre Tadpols Little Diggers

View more questions Search