Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cyberheater Posts: 321, Reputation: 12

Oct 2, 2009, 08:21 AM
    Reinforcing joist
    Have a bit of an issue.

Ran plumbing through joist appx 2" from edge, then elec comes in and runs wires inbetween them. Inspector comes out....of course he doesn't like it. Not far from foundation wall.

Never let anyone go against what you tell them.
    This is in a basement, the joist in question are ceiling from basement. one story home.
    Some idea's other then cross bracing to help support this area a bit more? Sistering a run will not do, and again - it's clost to the foundation wall. I know there is a product I used a long time ago for extra support that looked like a large metal tie, but I just can't remember it. That was for a major issue, and this is not that major, more of a "preventive" measure.

Update: done already. I should reallywait 24 hours before posting, eh?
    dhatura Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2009, 06:50 AM

Simpson makes a variety of straps such as the "mst36" that I use all of the time. And are made for such applications as this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What would be some marketing strategies for building and reinforcing the image salon? [ 2 Answers ]

What would be some marketing strategies for starting a new salon in regards to your image?

Reinforcing cantilevered addition to house [ 3 Answers ]

My house is a two level, daylight ranch built in 1951 on a slope with the top floor exiting at ground level in the back and the bottom floor exiting at ground level in the front. Subsequent to initial construction, a 10' x 16' cantilevered (overhanging) extension of the livingroom on the top floor...

Reinforcing attic floor w/ sister joices, 2X8's or 2X10's? [ 2 Answers ]

I am finishing my attic in a 100 year old house. They used 2 X 6's for the attic floor joices running 16 feet (the opposite way of the roof "joices"). Of course this is not strong enough for a floor. There is a lot of bounciness to it causing cracking ceiling plaster below. My question is can I...

Span length for reinforcing floor joists [ 9 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I am remodeling a recently bought home. One of the upstairs rooms is a game room and I plan on putting a pool table in it. The original floor joists were 2x6 16" OC - I glued and nailed another joist on to existing joist - so now it is 4x6 14" OC. If I would add another joist in...

Breaking concrete wall and reinforcing [ 3 Answers ]

Hello , I am current having difficulty researching how to connect two bachelor apartments into a two-bedroom unit.The wall between them is a concrete wall and I do not know if this is a supporting wall. My questions: 1. How do I know if the wall is a supporting wall? 2. Is it feasible to...

View more questions Search