Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2009, 05:53 PM
    Peerless purefire boiler
    Anyone have any experience with Peerless brand purefire boiler? I just purchased one to install in residential application. If anyone has used this brand,I'd appreciate the feedback. Peerless Boilers, Bally, PA, Heating, A/C, Water Heaters
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 2, 2009, 12:03 AM
    We did some testing at the university on that unit 2 years ago.

Follow the install instructions to the letter.

Never go over 1/2 PSI on the gas pressure or you will pop the gas valve. (as we found out)

Nice unit but all the mod con boilers have problems ESPECIALLY if you run to high a water temp. Does not like to go condensing with return temps over 125/130 degrees F. This makes many customers unhappy since most existing baseboard/fan coil radiation is sized for 170 to 180 degree F water.

Now if this is a complete new install then you can size the radiation for the 125 temp and the problem is solved but people get real upset when sold a condensing boiler as a replacement and then get there utility bill that has not gone down since you have to run 170/180 degree F water to make them feel comfortable and for the system to heat the home.

Service is ON GOING. Your customer will see you at least once a year and probably more. These baby's need to be cleaned EVERY year and make sure you buy a respirator since the dust off the combustion chamber is cancer causing and leaves a terrible taste in your mouth.
    Cleaning time about 2 hours for a proper job and do not forget the gasket kit you will need to do the job. Your customer is really going to save money when they are charged 300.00 labor and 40.00 for parts every year.

Pay real close attention to the gas line. You will need to be able to provide 13 or 14 IWC on high fire if my memory serves me correctly and a long run of 1/2 IPS or 3/4 will not get the job done and the problems will compound.

Make sure you have VERY GOOD instruments since these boilers DO NOT come setup from the factory. You have to tune the boiler for CO and all the other goodies after the install. You probably have the required 2000.00 in test equipment but you will need to send them back for calibration every year to work on this unit correctly. They need to be real accurate.

All in all they do what they will say they will do BUT only if installed correctly with the properly designed radiation. I am not meaning to paint a black picture of these types of units but just like to tell the truth about them. The above referenced situations were from actual testing and field service as a representative for various boiler manufacturers on customer complaint calls as an independent inspection service paid for by the manufacturers.

Peerless makes a great boiler if installed correctly on a properly designed system.
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2009, 08:34 PM

I appreciate the input! This is my first Peerless. I have previously installed Lennox boilers and they work out pretty well. I was told that it is recommended the circulator pump installed on the supply side? This application is a single zone system,single story house. Any piping tips I should know? Ive pretty much read the entire book. This boiler is pretty advanced for residential use.

Oct 3, 2009, 03:47 AM
    On the pump situation I almost always use the pump away setup but I would follow the manufactures install diagrams for this unit. One advantage of pumping to the boiler is a lower water temp the circulator will see possible allowing a longer life due to lower operating temps.

Do the right thing and make sure you have balance valves of some sort for each room’s radiation on the return leg since with only one zone/one thermostat there is a lot of area and you want to be sure you can control the temps in those separate rooms. This way if one or more rooms runs to hot or out of balance you can adjust the flow down. This also allows for controlling and miscalculations in your BB heat calculations. I assume you are using baseboard radiation and I assume you are running a loop system with tap offs? If possible you might also try to run a high pipe leg with an auto venter to get rid of the air easier. Naturally a Spiro Vent or some other such device is handy for air elimination also. When I set up a hot water circulating system I like to make sure it will auto vent all air in 5 minutes or less pump run time since I am a lazy person who does not want to go around and purge the lines for an hour or two. LOL. The 3 zone fan coil systems in this home will clear all air in 2 minutes flat. Naturally as the initial water charge is being heated more air will be released from the water but the auto venters clear that also.
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2009, 04:52 PM

Thanks for the advice buddy! I really appreciate it. This machine appears to be a little different than what I'm used to. Ive did a little research and haven't seen anything about control voltage on these things, I was tossing around the idea of splitting the basement on its own zone, not sure what the control voltage is for zone valves... Guess I'll know more once it gets here.

Oct 3, 2009, 04:55 PM
    You could just use a 24 volt honeywell zone valve I believe along with a separate thermostat for a zone.

Oct 19, 2009, 02:15 PM
    Did you get that boiler installed yet?
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2009, 06:24 PM

Yep! It works great. Pretty tough trying to explain how to operate to a 75 year old man, it was a lot different than the 50 year old dinasaur that He had.

Oct 19, 2009, 07:06 PM
    Lucky for him it is automatic for the most part.
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2009, 05:30 PM

Yeah, that's true.
    Lenny44 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2012, 06:56 AM
    Done

Jul 15, 2012, 07:44 PM
    Read and believe the attached doc.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf fs_boilers.pdf (93.6 KB, 215 views)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaking Faucet (Peerless) [ 1 Answers ]

Have an older Peerless faucet with two clear plastic on/off knobs and the hot water side is leaking. Turned water supply off and took handle off on the hot water side and there appears to be a plastic cartridge inside with an O ring on the outside of the cartridge and smaller one inside. Will just...

Connecting a wood boiler to exsisting boiler [ 2 Answers ]

I need a plumbing diagram to connect a wood burning boiler to an exsisting primary boiler, exsisting boiler is apeerless 105/85 that is approx. 20 years old

Peerless faucet [ 1 Answers ]

We have a two handled peerless kitchen faucet with sprayer. Water just trickles out and nothing come out of the sprayer. When it is turned on it spits out a little water then there's a clunking noise like when the spayer is used, then after a pause the water flows slow, very slow (2-3 minutes to...

Peerless Diverter Valve [ 3 Answers ]

Is there anyplace on the web that would have an internal drawing of a Peerless single-lever faucer? My diverter valve is sticking, and before I take it apart, I'd like to know what to expect inside. Thanks Jim

View more questions Search