Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JacerOne Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2009, 03:50 PM
    Downloading Skype & AVG FREE for Linux - Acer Aspire One
    Hi,

Really hoping someone can help me? Recently got a new Aspire One Netbook laptop with Linux.

Seem to be having trouble downloading Skype & AVG Free. Both sets of instructions advise to download file directly, then extract with Xarchiver.

However when I do this, the file still won't open:confused:allowing me to complete installation.

Many thanks,

Jace
    cmeeks Posts: 754, Reputation: 64

Oct 5, 2009, 10:45 AM

What distro are you running?
    Clam is an excellent AV program and is open source, it is usually listed in the repositories of what ever software tool you are using. Not knowing your distro you can find AVG downloads here and Skype here, I will not be able to provide any further instructions without knowing what distro you run.

Oct 5, 2009, 04:28 PM
    Hi & many thanks for the quick response!

How can I find out what distro I'm running? Is there anywhere on my laptop that will tell me as it's not very clear (I've checked in system information)?

Should I contact the supplier? Would they know?

You'll have to forgive my lack of knowledge when it comes to Linux, it's my first computer using this op system (always had windows previously).

Many thanks,

Jason

Oct 6, 2009, 01:02 PM

Distro is short for distribution or the brand of Linux. If you are using Ubuntu 9.4 then that is your distro. Different Linux distros or brands use different software package handlers or methods to install software. Debian and Ubuntu use .deb files to install software where fedora uses .rpm files. You can always install from the source code by compiling and installing the software.

Nov 5, 2009, 10:08 AM

Hi, sorry its taken forever to come back to you, I've only recently received the info I need from the supplier of my laptop.

My distro is Fedora core version 8.

Hopefully that will help when helping me figure out how to download new software?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Kind regards,

Jason

Nov 5, 2009, 02:10 PM

AVG can be downloaded here and skype here for Fedora 9 and here for Fedora 10 or later these are direct links to the .rpm or Redhat Package Manager files these files will work with the package manager that is used by Fedora (the community supported Redhat branch) Installation should run nearly automatically once you open the downloaded file. If you need any addition software installed the package manager will tell you what to install or install it for you. I have not used a Red Hat based distro in a couple of release cycles so I am a little rusty on the features of the package manager.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Acer aspire 1413 [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all Can someone please help. I am trying to recoverer my acer aspire 1413 however when I put in the second recovery disk I get a message that states (cannot open image file X:\images\60ea1012.ghs. I suspect my disc is faulty. Please help Paulw1200

Acer aspire one. [ 5 Answers ]

Hey folks,first,happy new year to you all!! OK,just got an acer aspire one,what a nightmare! It came with mcafee security,so I got rid of that and installed avast,then the problems came,the thing will not work at all,I've got all my icons on desktop but nothing works,I deleated avast but its...

Acer Aspire 5920 Laptop. [ 3 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I have been having a lengthy discussion about laptops in another post and I have come to the decision that I am going to buy this laptop. However I'm just wondering is there anyone here that has this laptop? Or a laptop that betters it for the same price? Thanks a lot.

Can't install Skype for Linux on Acer Aspire One 110ab [ 0 Answers ]

Hi there, I have just bought the netbook listed above and have tried to install skype for linux. Iwas the asked to input a password with the following text... " You are attempting to install "system-install software" more information is needed to do so" "Authenticating root" I do not have...

Acer Aspire 1600 HDD Failure? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have an Acer Aspire 1600 laptop, It suddenly gave "Disk Error" message when booting - white text/dark screen/upper left corner. I reboot and it can not find HDD. The HDD is Hitachi DK23EA-40 (ATA-5 Enhanced IDE - not that I understand... ), original from factory. I can reach BIOS - the...

View more questions Search