Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmeyer01 Posts: 136, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2006, 09:46 PM
    Baby gets startled out of sleep often
    Our baby is 9 weeks old right now and does not sleep well yet. He certainly does not sleep through the night but that is not the worst of it. When we do finally get him to start falling asleep, (day or night) he will wake up startled about every 10 minutes like if we just had woke up from a nightmare or something. Then he will start crying a screaming and it takes a while just to get him calmed again.

Why does he do this and what can we do to help with that?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 31, 2006, 10:02 PM
    This is all perfectly normal. The old addage "he sleeps like a baby" is so far from the truth.

You may need to provide a perfectly dark and quiet place for the baby, if you do not already.
    Ace High Posts: 191, Reputation: 22

Oct 31, 2006, 10:13 PM
    The baby is only 9 weeks old, he just came from a 9 month old place that was snug as a bug in a very tight rug. Now he has to deal with his own unintentionable movements. Legs and arms flying all over place. Noises to his new ears, lights to his new eyes. Imagine all the you can is new to him. Have you ever fallen asleep in chair by accident and found yourself being startled awake by the sensation of falling as you nodded off?? And that was startling as an adult, imagine what the baby feels like. The hospital usually bundles the newborns in a blanket quite snuggly if you notice. Never loosely bundled. The carriers you can purchase that tote the baby in front of you work very well for making the baby feel safe. A darkened room with a comfortable rocker chair helps greatly. Make sure the baby can hear the heartbeat of the mother and he'll be soothed right back to sleep. Ace
    dbek Posts: 74, Reputation: 4

Nov 17, 2006, 09:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tmeyer01
    Our baby is 9 weeks old right now and does not sleep well yet. He certainly does not sleep through the night but that is not the worst of it. When we do finally get him to start falling asleep, (day or night) he will wake up startled about every 10 minutes like if we just had woke up from a nightmare or something. Then he will start crying a screaming and it takes a while just to get him calmed again.

Why does he do this and what can we do to help with that?
    When my daughter was a baby she did the samething. Don't pick her up right away. The pediatrian told me that they have to learn to go back to sleep on there owns. You baby was probably having a bad dream. I know it's extremely hard to let them cry back to sleep but eventually it gets easier.
    bostero1905 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2009, 07:43 AM
    tmeyer01

How long did your baby get startled for?
    My son I almost 3 months old and gets startled
    A lot when he's trying to sleep.

Please help with any info.
    I'm sure your son is like 3 now right?

Hope to hear from you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Baby salivating and foaming during sleep [ 12 Answers ]

Hello, My 9-week-old baby boy has been waking up several times at night (5 times already, spread in a month) with the mouth full of saliva and a little bit of foam (not soapy, just like saliva bubbles), and with difficulties breathing. The first time he even coughed quite a bit after I took him...

Sleep [ 7 Answers ]

Is it true that you can die faster by not getting any sleep, then by not getting any food? I know this probably has been touched on before. Does anybody have any sleeping issues? Problems? Have you dealt with them or is it still haunting you. For me, sitting here on my computer, feeling...

Sleep [ 12 Answers ]

I have a question that is for anyone who knows anything about sleep disorders or dream interpretations. Anyone think they can help?

10month 3 week baby - lack of sleep [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 10 month 3 weeks baby boy - who is a wee dream, he is so good natured and content. We have one small problem... sleeping. He will not sleep through the night. He is still sharing our bedroom but is moving in the next month or so to his own room. I have no problem getting him to sleep...

View more questions Search