Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carol-anne Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2009, 02:30 AM
    Calculating takes ages
    I work with excel very much in my stock analysing job and so my files contain vlookups and formulas. Every time I insert new data or copy from one cell to another or change data, my spreadsheet starts calculating the cells over and over again and takes ages. It's become so frustrating and time-consuming. Can anyone help?
    ROLCAM Posts: 1,420, Reputation: 23
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2009, 04:04 AM

As you know when you copy from one cell to another , you have a choice of chosing.
    1) Data only.
    2) formulas.
    To avoid waste of time, chose data only and then proceed to enter the formulas you require.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Oct 1, 2009, 11:25 AM

Hi Carol, welcome to the forum.

The most likely culprit in this scenario is the formulas themselves. Most Excel functions are non-volatile. This means that once they have calculated the cell will NOT recalculate again ever unless you change something in the sheet directly related to the formula in that cell.

But there are a few formulas and formula constructs that are inherently volatile and recalc EVERY TIME you do anything, anywhere.

It's very annoying.

The only way I can really pinpoint what your problem might be is to look at your sheet and see which formulas are causing the performance issue.

Can you zip up a copy and post it here? You can password protect a zip file and then private message me the password. Or use the green Skype link under my name to send it to me directly.

To post here, click GO ADVANCED and use the paperclip icon to post up your workbook.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I Need to know about sex ages! [ 13 Answers ]

I am about to be 19 right? And I met a girl and was hanging out with her and then I started liking her and we hookep up and I thought she was 16 which is what I understood to be the legal sex age here in Indiana for a girl. I found out that she was 15, and now I don't know what to do. She told me...

Their Ages . [ 4 Answers ]

THEIR AGES. "My husband's age," remarked a lady the other day, "is represented by the figures of my own age reversed. He is my senior, and the difference between our ages is one-eleventh of their sum."

Dating Ages. [ 3 Answers ]

If A 19 year old male where to be seeing a 14 year old female and had no sex, but oral sex and was charged would he go to jail? If so how long?

LAw about ages [ 1 Answers ]

Yeah I want to get my belly button done and I've researcfhed a lot of places and it says that in some states and stuff like that you may need to have an adult with you and you might not be able to because of your age... well does anyone no what the laws are in ontario for all of that?? :p

View more questions Search