Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blkjagg Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2009, 06:23 PM
    Drivers don't work
    I purchased a new Geforce 8400gs card (NO CD!) installed it ,Downloaded and tried to load the drivers and got an error message.THE NVIDEA SETUP PROGRAM COULD NOT LOCATE ANY DRIVERS THAT ARE Compatible W/YOUR CURRENT HARDWARE.My computer has onboard graphics. Any ideas what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Sep 30, 2009, 07:00 PM

NVidia GeForce 8400 GS drivers

NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS - Driver Download - PC Pitstop Libraries

Oct 1, 2009, 12:39 PM

Thanks for the response... I downloaded the drivers but when I unzip I get the error message when I attempt to install them
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2009, 01:59 PM

What error message and which file did you download?

Are you getting error while unzipping or after unzipped and tried to install?

Oct 1, 2009, 05:09 PM

The exact error message is in the beginning of this thread. The file I downloaded and used was from the seller of the graphics card. I get the message at the very beginning of the driver instalation.
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2009, 09:54 PM

What OS are you using?

Go to:

Choose the version of windows you have installed and download the first one as it will be the latest driver.

Check device mgr to see if any yellow marks present
    -Right click on My Computer and choose properties
    -go to hardware tab then device manager

Look down list and look for any yellow marks present and then right click on the one that refers to video card (if present) and choose uninstall and say OK

Now close device mgr and go to downloaded file and try to install file downloaded.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2009, 12:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by blkjagg View Post
    My computer has onboard graphics. Any ideas what the problem could be?
    Have you disabled the onboard graphics in the BIOS so that Windows can see the add-in card?

Oct 2, 2009, 12:40 AM

There was a yellow mark just as you mentioned and I uninstalled it , same result as before... I just completed scanning my system and it still believes it is using the original graphics (integrated on MB).How do I remove this"hardware" from my computer and get it to recognize the new graphics card.Perhaps this is why the NVidea Drivers won't install.
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2009, 12:44 AM
    That is exactly why the drivers don't see the card. Simply uninstalling the drivers for the onboard graphics will not do, you have to disable the onboard video chipset in your BIOS - how this is done depends on your computer and the BIOS version it has.

Oct 2, 2009, 12:45 AM

No I did not... how Is this done ?

Oct 2, 2009, 12:46 AM
    OK... I Have a little more homework to do
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2009, 12:49 AM
    What's the make/model of your computer? Surely someone has done what you are doing, chances are you can find the answer on the 'net somewhere.
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2009, 07:43 AM

That was next suggestion, just need to get into the BIOS

As mentioned, do you have the model of the computer

When you first turn on the computer and see a splash screen, look in corners for info like:

-Hit F12 or ESC, or some key function to allow you to get into BIOS or setup utility (sometimes this screen goes by fast, see if you can recognize the key combo)

Once in BIOS, look through the settings using the arrow keys and look for On-Board video or similar, once/if found, move cursor over it with the arrow keys to highlight it and 'usually' hitting the enter key will give you options - Choose disable.

Close and Save Settings change (Usually F10) but depends on options you have to work with there and computer will start with the on-board disabled and hopefully be able to get the drivers installed for you new card.

Hope this helps and post back with whatever info you may come up with

Oct 2, 2009, 07:30 PM

I used the BIOS to set the PCI-E slot for the new graphics card. After bootup "new hardware found" installation wizard comes on.I don't have the CD for the graphics card just the drive download.How do I complete the "HARDWARE" installation. Perhaps this will solve the original problem w/the driver recognition.
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2009, 02:59 AM
    Just cancel the Hardware installation wizard. Your Desktop will look all blocky and large, that's OK. Find the drivers you downloaded and run the installation for them. You'll be asked to reboot and all should be OK then.

Oct 3, 2009, 07:37 AM

Thanks... I followed your instructions and when I attempt to install the drivers I get the following error message [THE NVIDIA setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current Hardware] when I scan my computer it still recognizes the original integrated onboard graphics. The new PCI-E graphics card is in use (monitor is connected to it) I can't install the drivers B/C the computer doesn't no the new card is already in use.I'm Never able to complete the HARDWARE installation.
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2009, 08:40 AM

Try going into device mgr and see if the on-board video is still seen there

Right click on my computer, properties, hardware tab, device mgr
    -Look under display adapters, what do you have there?

If you see your on board video, try to right click and choose disable if that option is avail

What model computer are you using?

Oct 3, 2009, 08:02 PM

COMPAQ PRESARIO SR1910NX
    MBoard A8N-LA(Nagami2L)
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2009, 08:27 PM

See if this applies

Right click on my computer, properties, hardware tab, device mgr
    -Look under display adapters, what do you have there?

If you see the on board adapter listed there, double click on it
    -On bottom, you will see Device Usage
    -Change this to "Do Not Use This Device"
    -Click OK

Now reboot with new card in and attached and see if you can get it installed

Make sure if option to disable on board video is in BIOS, that is also disabled

Oct 3, 2009, 11:52 PM

I see

Network adapters
    NVIDIA nForce networking controller(REDX)
    NVIDEA Network Bus Enumorator
    OTHER DEVICES(IN YELLOW)
    video controler (vga compatable) in yellow w/redX
    I tried your suggestion no luck... Thnx

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

64-bit Vista drivers and 64-bit XP drivers [ 7 Answers ]

Think of this situation as a 32-bit Vista Machine upgrading(term used loosely :D) to a 64-bit Version of Vista. Since maybe not all hardware on the 32-bit is 64-bit compatible, thus no drivers (which must be digitally signed) for operability. I have heard that for SOME of these devices that need...

Drivers [ 1 Answers ]

I am using a compaq Presario_c700 but the audio device is not found

Why are excellent drivers usually angry drivers? [ 12 Answers ]

When someone whizzes past me on the freeway, changing lanes and slipping between cars without slowing anyone down I think, "good driver." Riding in the same car with a person like this has always revealed that the person is frustrated and angry with everyone else. You may be different. When a...

Need Drivers [ 2 Answers ]

Ok I've formated this HD and now I need drivers and IDK where to get them. Preffably ones that don't cost me money (cuz I have none) I looked at several site and most want money, they don't have it of IDK what the heck I'm looking for. So any help would be greatly apreciated =) Need drivers for:...

View more questions Search