Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    denlevdek Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2006, 07:05 PM
    How to speak confidently with your team member?
    Working in a foreign country is hard for me. I know what I want to happen in my unit but since I am the only foreigner my staff seems not to care what I said. How can I speak and talk to them properly?
    Ace High Posts: 191, Reputation: 22

Oct 31, 2006, 08:02 PM
    denlevdek,

Your post mentions you as the foreigner, but you don't mention where? Your english is very good, so may I assume you are the one attached to a foreigner unit not in CONUS (not in the US)?? Course it could be another country with a heavy influence of english, but the result is that you have trouble communicating with your team mates. If you have been assigned overseas someplace, then I would recommend taking classes in the appropriate language needed to better assimilate into the unit. Always lead by example first and try very hard to observe their practices. Something along the lines of "when in Rome do as the Romans do". Many of the US military, and we have the "best all-voluntary military" men and women in the world, (which is probably why so many other countries are so jealous) take courses to try to help them understand the local customs and some language abilities to help them. This is of course, within reason. If the custom of the given country goes against your own country's belief, then caution should be practiced. We do not treat our women as second class citizens for example. It is hard to fit in when you are the outsider. Just try to be the best you can be as a human being. --- Ace
    confusedgate Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2006, 05:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by denlevdek
    Working in a foreign country is hard for me. I know what i want to happen in my unit but since i am the only foreigner my staff seems not to care what i said. How can i speak and talk to them properly?
    People don't care how much you know , they want to know how much you care , be personable ( friendly) , when speaking to people you must speak to their interest, your in their country learn some of their culture , still need help by the book coaching the un coachable you can order it through www.redleadpress.com

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to make it on the varsity basketball team [ 5 Answers ]

Hello Well I'm writeing to see if I can get any tips or secerets on how to make the varsity team please help me Here's a little about me I am 6"1 inch tall and I weight 155 and I'm only 15 years old and I am a sophomore in hig school And what would be my best possison on the team caus in the...

Team India loses... again [ 2 Answers ]

Well well... once again. Are we getting used to it?

Biblical Baseball Team [ 6 Answers ]

undefined :confused: I am searching for a story that I heard several years ago and can't for the life of me remember more than a couple things about it. I know it was very funny and had been told to some church youth at a gathering. The story is about a baseball team made up of Biblical...

Team size optimization [ 2 Answers ]

What is the optimum size of teams to be employed during water-fall life-cycle stages. Please advise for any aretical , web-site link or other source of material related to the above topic.any opinion will be very much appreciated.

View more questions Search