Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    5catsplusafew Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2004, 06:11 AM
    Nursing Cat with Loose Stool
    Hello,

My cat, June, has three kittens of her own(four weeks old) and a foster kitten a week older than hers.  About a week ago she started having excessive gas and loose stools, and it hasn't improved.  I had given her moist cat food as a treat, and thought that was the problem, but it couldn't still be the problem.  Any advice?  
    koriani Posts: 132, Reputation: 8

Jun 29, 2004, 07:19 AM
    Nursing Cat with Loose Stool
    Hello,

My first question would be what kind of food is she currently eating? I suggest a high quality kitten food mixed with a high quality adult food such as Iams.

Iams is more digestible and causes less stomach upset. Fequently changing brands of food is a no-no as well. Cat's have very delicate digestive tracts and any change causes problems.

My next thought would be an imbalance in the intestinal flora. Find a store near you that carries Culturelle and give your cat 1/2 to 1 capsule in a SMALL amount of wet food or tuna daily for 5 to 7 days.

Culturelle can be found at Walgreens or you can visit their website at http://www.culturelle.com to find more places near you.

Culturelle is a probiotic that replenishes the good flora in the intestinal tract.

Also, have the stool checked at a vet. There could be parasites such as roundworms or coccidia. In this case, a dewormer (don't buy over the counter, their worthless) or antibiotics are called for.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
    modelconnor Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2012, 11:14 PM
    Dr. Mercola's probiotics is pretty good to. You can find more info here: http://probiotics.mercola.com/probiotics.html

Best of luck top you and June!
    modelconnor Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2012, 11:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by modelconnor View Post
    Dr. Mercola's probiotics is pretty good to. You can find more info here: http://probiotics.mercola.com/probiotics.html

Best of luck top you and June!
    Oops! Here's the correct link: Probiotics | Complete Probiotics Supplements - Mercola.com :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My puppy has loose stool [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 8+ week old Jack Russell and she has been with us for about a week and a half. She is in goos shape and has already has her initial shots and worming. Today after coming home from the store I took her out and she had loose stool (very loose). I was wondering what might have caused this....

Stool Flange [ 2 Answers ]

I will be replacing rotted 1 x 6 sub flooring and underlayment under the stool. Have crawl space. Will be using 1/4 backer board over all surface and putting in new vinyl. Has been a very long time since I last removed a cast iron flange. Want to raise it to level of backer board. Seems it was...

Puppy found that won't eat, blood in stool, dehydrated [ 3 Answers ]

What can I do to save this puppy I found in a box in the rain until a vet is available:confused: ? He is a very young sharpei, won't eat, looking for mother I think, so I put a ticking clock in his bed, blood in his stool (loose), dehydrated.

My cat has loose stool [ 5 Answers ]

My cat had UTI and was given injections of antibiotics for 10 days. A month has gone by now and his stool is still lose and frequent. Would you tell me why?

View more questions Search