Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SandraReilly Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2009, 10:02 AM
    Debt owed to union for ICBC claim?
    I borrowed money from my union's healthcare plan when I had a car accident. The plan does not replace lost wages for injury due to car accident. I signed a 3rd party agreement to pay back the loan after I received my settlement from ICBC. My settlement was over 5 years ago... my union has just recently sent me a letter saying I need to pay them back. I thought my lawyer already paid them. My lawyer received a copy of the agreement that I signed but apparently did not deduct the money from the settlement. Is the lawyer responsible for the debt? Do I still have to pay a debt that is over 5yrs old?
    DisabledinMD Posts: 68, Reputation: 0

Oct 1, 2009, 12:23 AM

Did you ask the lawyer if they paid it? What were the terms you and the lawyer agreed upon for repayment? Your situation is not something the evryday layman can answer, get the answers to the above questions, and consider hiring another attorney. Or if it wasn't paid, and you owe it, then pay it.

If the lawyer was responsible, and failed to take care of it, report him to your state bar. As to statute of limitations, depends on the state you live in, and the type of contract. Search here: Debt collection statute of limitations listed by state

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statute of limitations on ICBC debt / DUI. [ 5 Answers ]

I was charged, pled guilty and was convicted with a DUI in British Coulmbia, Canada in the summer of 1999. I paid my federal fine, but was also charged a penlaty fee of about $1000 by ICBC. I had to pay $100 of this fine at that time to get a temporary license issued. Since, I have moved to...

Government owed debt [ 2 Answers ]

I am making payments on an income tax debt can they still garnish my wages?

Before going in to talk with ICBC Insurance claim [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have this debt with ICBC that is well over 200,000 due to injury claim pay out, not mine I never claimed, I crashed my dads truck about 9 years ago result my dad got paid out, then year or so later my "friend" got paid out and I got a bill for them both, since then I have gotten letters on a...

View more questions Search