Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    305Green Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2009, 07:20 AM
    Unmarried Father's Rights
    I have an 11 year old son with a woman I never married. I am named as the father on the birth certificate. We have never gone to court, always working out child support and visitation between ourselves. My son spends most weekends and vacations with me. I would characterize our situation as joint custody, but we have never had a court document this. Recently the mother has begun to feel as though my son needs to come live with me. I also support this idea. The problem is that she does not want him to switch schools. Unfortunately his current school is over 30 miles away and I am not able to drop him off and pick him up. I would like him to switch to the public school in my town. Is there any legal reason that she can stop me from transferring schools? Can his current school deny me rights to his school records?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2009, 07:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 305Green View Post
    I would like him to switch to the public school in my town. Is there any legal reason that she can stop me from transferring schools? Can his current school deny me rights to his school records?
    Hello Green:

Nope to both of your questions. Plus, if I'm not mistaken, you're not going to have a CHOICE as to which public school he attends.

In any case, I'd certainly try to work it out with her. A big battle NOW would cost you BOTH a LOT of money.

excon
    305Green Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2009, 07:57 AM

Sorry I wasn't clear. Currently he goes to a Charter school and his mother has lied about her address (uses her mother's address) in order for him to go there. Would you say that just by virtue of him moving in with me that he must attend the public school in the town we live in?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2009, 08:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 305Green View Post
    Would you say that just by virtue of him moving in with me that he must attend the public school in the town we live in?
    Hello again, Green:

Yes.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unmarried Father's rights before and after the birth of the child [ 7 Answers ]

What are my rights, in the state of Texas, as the father of my unborn child before and after it is born? Specifically, does the child take my last name and what visitation rights will I have once its born?

Unmarried Father's rights [ 2 Answers ]

My son has a child with a young lady. The baby is 5 months old. She will not allow him to see the baby unless it is in her home, she lives with her parents, where they all talk behind his back. He has not paid any child support yet as she won't talk to him about working out details of...

Unmarried Father's Rights [ 9 Answers ]

I live in California. I'm living with a man (3 months.) who recently found out that a woman he used to date is pregnant (4.5 mos). I support him in his efforts to be a father to his child (during pregnancy supporting the child's mother and after birth). However this is a new component in our...

Unmarried father's rights [ 2 Answers ]

My ex-girlfriend is pregnant and due in a couple of months. I do not want a relationship with her but would like to be friendly for the baby's sake. I want joint custody of the baby and she wants sole custody. I want to make sure my rights are protected. Can I get joint custody if we are not...

Unmarried parents - father's rights? [ 5 Answers ]

I do not want my baby's father involved with her and I want to offer him a cash settlement to relinquish his rights? Is this something I can do in North Carolina? If he agrees, will the judge allow this? We are not married.

View more questions Search