Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tgh1973 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2004, 05:21 PM
    Nusing Mother Cat with Swollen Teats
    I have a stray mother cat that I brought in with her 6 kittens. The kittens now 8 weeks old have been placed in a rescue for adoption and I had the mother spayed last week. Now her teats are swollen as if she needs to keep nursing. Each one is about the size of an egg. Does anyone know anything about this? Do I need to get her in to see a vet?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Tricia
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2004, 08:10 PM
    Re: Nusing Mother Cat with Swollen Teats
    Using my dog experience, most vets would welcome calls about post operative problems. Will you be going back to have the stitches out?
    koriani Posts: 132, Reputation: 8

Jul 1, 2004, 12:08 PM
    Nusing Mother Cat with Swollen Teats
    Hello Tricia,

When mother cats stop nursing, they can become engorged just as nursing women do.

I wouldn't worry unless you see a reddish discharge which may mean infection.

I generally takes about a week or two for the milk to dissapate. Using a warm compress (if she'll allow) might help.

Regards,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My mother acts like a bill collector more than a mother [ 9 Answers ]

I need an opinion... my mother has lent me money for some computer programs and we get our cell phones together so I deposit mine in her account every month to pay for mine and pay her monthly to pay her back for my programs. Lately, my work has been slow, and I will not have the money until next...

Swollen & bruised... : ( [ 3 Answers ]

Okay, my boyfriend and I were having sex.. well I guess I got rough or something, but he said his penis was starting to hurt.. well we took off the condom and it was a little swollen.. well after a while we just thought he needed some time.. well about an hour later it started looking bruised and...

Swollen daschund [ 2 Answers ]

My 4 1/2 month old daschund started showing symptoms of swelling on Thursday night. Her lips were the first to show signs, and soon after her eye lids. I took her to a 24 hour vet, who gave her a cortisone injection, and advised to take her home. The swelling subsided. Friday morning we awoke...

4wk old kitten , with swollen eye [ 4 Answers ]

I have clue what happened! First off they were seen by the vet at 3 weeks for constipation and got an OK for everything! So last week they weren't sick! I have 2 kitten , 1boy, 1girl! This afternoon, I did everythign as usual got up fed them , put them in the litter box and waited , they went,...

Swollen vain [ 2 Answers ]

My husband wanted me to find out if this is normal he has a vain on his testical that is swollen and its very dark. Is this normal?

View more questions Search