Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abbytoo Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2009, 10:45 PM
    Year Old Turkey Edible?
    Last year I bought a frozen turkey about one or two weeks before Thanksgiving with the intention of cooking it for the holiday. Well I didn't cook it, it's still in the freezer. I'm wondering if it would still be any good if I cooked it now? I can't find an expiration date on it and really hate the thought of defrosting, stuffing and cooking it for several hours only to find out it wasn't any good.

Any thoughts on whether this turkey is likely to still be edible after almost a year in the freezer? Or should I say a prayer, apologize for its unnecessary death and bury it in the back yard? :(
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2009, 10:57 PM
    Hi, abbytoo!

It might still be good, but I wouldn't recommend fixing it. There may be a number of factors involved with dates and times. Please see the chart that's available on the United States Department of Agriculture website. Link is below:

Food Safety of Turkey...from Farm to Table

Thanks!

Sep 29, 2009, 11:07 PM

Thanks for your input Clough, my sister told me the same thing. But she would have told me that if it was in the freezer for two weeks so I thought I'd get some more opinions. I not only hate the waste but the loss of a life for no reason. Maybe I will say that prayer ...... :(
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2009, 11:25 PM
    Hi again, abbytoo!

I would think, that the United States Department of Agriculture would be one of the most reliable and accurate websites to use concerning information about this sort of thing.

Some people like to throw food away after very short periods, whether frozen or not. I tend to keep things somewhat longer... if it smells okay, then to me, it's probably okay. But, that's just me...

Things stored in a freezer are a different story, though. Certain things happen to them there that might not make them as palatible as we would like. Even after short periods.

For me, if it's something of fish, bird or animal origin, then I would follow the advice of the experts on those things concerning storage.

Sometimes, we just have to "bite the bullet" and accept what must be done if it means throwing something away.

I had the same question that you had here, about a frozen turkey, about four years ago.

I think that one of the sites that found even said that six months in the freezer was too long,

Thanks!
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2009, 12:33 PM
    I would have defrosted it, smelled (and if good) cooked it and then re-froze it for turkey sandwichs and various foods for myself and family through out the year.

The newer stuffed Turkey would be for the big dinner.

I usually buy 2 evry year since they are so inexpensive around Thanksgiving. The second one sits in the freezer for along time and I have never had a problem with it.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2009, 12:46 PM

I don't trust poultry that is not very fresh.
    I would say the prayer.I always do the same on the rare occasions I have to waste food.
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2009, 04:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by artlady View Post
    I don't trust poultry that is not very fresh.
    I would say the prayer.I always do the same on the rare occasions I have to waste food.
    Now I feel icky:(

I've never had a problem, but I understand the concerns.

When in doubt, throw it out!:)
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Oct 1, 2009, 07:32 PM

It may also taste like frezzer burn since it has been in the frezzer for so long. If it were me I would toss it and buy a new one. It's not worth cooking it for such a long time and having it taste weird.

Oct 17, 2009, 08:58 PM

Thanks for all your responses and opinions. I haven't thrown it out yet only because I've not yet gotten up in time to catch the garbage guys. Don't want to throw it in the trash the night before and attract animals. ;)
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2009, 01:57 AM

I once had a turkey in the freezer for a year and ate it. It was fine and it tasted fine. And someone else who ate some even said it was the best turkey he'd ever had.

But it was also very deeply frozen and had no freezer burn or anything. And it smelled fine when it was thawed. I was also careful to thaw it properly.

I'm of a mind that if it smells OK, I don't worry about it. Poultry definitely smells yucky when it's no good, more so than beef ever would.

Of course, I don't want to be responsible for anyone else, but that link Clough gave even says a fresh whole turkey can be frozen for 12 months.

(It also says open lunchmeat should only be refrigerated 3-5 days?? Sheesh, I keep stuff like bologna for weeks. On the other hand, I think my body is good and used to bacteria cause I break all the rules. You do realize we've actually gotten too clean? So now we have to eat special yogurt to make up for it. ;))
    yperez Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2009, 09:05 AM

Is a Turkey Frozen for one year still edible?
    yperez Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2009, 09:05 AM
    Is a Turkey frozen for one year still edible?
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2009, 02:02 PM
    Yes, but read the above posts first, before you make a decision.:)
    Golden_Girl Posts: 1,930, Reputation: 60
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2009, 08:35 PM
    It may still be edible, but I would think that you would have a higher chance of getting food poison, correct? In my opinion, I would trash it and cook a new one to be on the safe side... even if it is still in good quality.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2009, 10:34 AM

I do like JustD said. Check for freezer burn, thaw it out, smell it, notice if it looks old, greasy, etc... Then cook it for left over recipes IF it appears to be AS fresh as any other.
    foody Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2010, 12:27 PM
    Well there was a youghurt in my fridge for about 2 weeks and it was half price so I was going to eat it the day I got it because it was gone off the day after and I forgot and 2 weeks later I didn't look at the date and ate it and didn't feel sick till about an hour after but since the turkey was in the freezer for a year it may have freezer burn but any way I probably wouldn't eat it because I like turkeys you should say the prayer:o)(o:

Nov 20, 2010, 12:30 PM
    Comment on morgaine300's post
    U should look it up on Google

Nov 21, 2010, 12:52 AM
    Smell it ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Turkey Baster [ 3 Answers ]

OK, This may sound really lame, but Has anyone actually ever gotten pregnant using a turkey baster or is it another urban legend?:D

Turkey Gravy [ 1 Answers ]

Regarding turkey gravy; It state to "Blend 3 tablespoons flour into 3 tablespoons turkey drippings". I don't have any flour, can I use corn meal mix instead?

Ppr turkey [ 1 Answers ]

I want to know the companies of ppr pipe and fitting in turkey

Edible mushroom cultivation [ 1 Answers ]

How do I grow edible mushroom from wood waste?

Cold turkey [ 6 Answers ]

Oh hello again, for those of you who have seen my other posts! Ok so, it's finally happening... My semester finally ended and I am home. The last three weeks of school I hardly had any work to do and wanted to live it up with my friends. Therefore I was drinking every night and smoking pot and...

View more questions Search