Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ligaia Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2009, 02:36 PM
    Clicking noises?
    Recently my husband's desktop computer started making clicking noises. We didn't think anything of it at first, until this morning, when it shut itself down. When we tried to restart it, it informed us that it couldn't find the hard drive. We're really hoping (a) that the hard drive isn't fried beyond use, and (b) that we'll be able to get his work files off his hard drive. Is there any way we can recover his files, or fix the computer completely? *hopeful face*
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Sep 29, 2009, 04:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ligaia View Post
    Is there any way we can recover his files, or fix the computer completely? *hopeful face*
    Yes, the usual strategy is to replace the drive with a new one, reinstall the operating system, and then restore all your data from a backup and you're back up and running. :)

If you do not have a backup, your situation is more dire. Clicking noises and the drive failing to be recognized are symptoms of a failing and then probably dead drive. The Hard Drive FAQ lists diagnostic utilities for checking drives of various manufacturers. Sometimes it is possible to install a new drive, reinstall the operating system and then connect the sick drive as a second drive and pull files off it. However, since it is no longer being recognized this strategy is probably not viable. Furthermore, continued use of the drive will reduce the chances of recovery for any files that need to be retained. If you have files that absolutely cannot be lost, stop using the drive immediately and contact a data recovery company. :(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Baseboard Heaters making clicking/tinking noises [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I've recently purchased a new home and with the cooler weather approaching started turning on the heat. I currently have baseboard heaters (brand new) that when you turn them on they make a clicking and/or knocking noise spuratically. The noises occur randomnly but are very annoying and...

John Deere L110 Clicking sound on start - new solenoid, still clicking! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I cut my lawn, engine was running for about 2 hours. Stopped at neighbors house, cold beer, go to restart, just a clicking sound. Thought battery was dead, did a quick check, good voltage, hooked it up to a charger, good amps. Still clicking. I figure it's the solenoid, picked one up...

Sexual noises [ 7 Answers ]

Ok this is funny! We are friends with this couple, both very sweet. A while we went to visit them (they live like 200 miles away ) so don't see them very often and when we do we stay over the for the night. Anyway.. when we were over there's a while back, we heard them having sex... Well we...

Strange Noises! [ 3 Answers ]

I am running windows xp and suddenly it seems to be going very slowly and also there is a strange noise - like it loses power is the only way to explain it - like a vehicle about to stall! I have run AVG anti virus, ad-aware, spybot, ccleaner and have done a defrag - what else can I do to stop...

View more questions Search