Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jrsmommyy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2009, 01:56 PM
    How would I have my son's father's rights taken away?
    I have not seen or heard from my son's father in 6 months. He is paying child support. Every time I send him a message trying to arrange visitation either he or his fiancé message me back saying I will not "get anything out of him" or that they will "see him soon enough". I have spoken with him once on the phone two months ago in hopes that his son could spend some time with him, but he was very uncooperative and not willing to negotiate. I would still like for him to have weekly visitaion and we do have a preliminary court date coming up, but I think that it would be in my son's best interest that I have sole decision making athority. Is it possible that I could have his father's parental rights relinquished? Also, should I stop contacting his father until the court date?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 29, 2009, 02:04 PM

First, if you bothered to read the Sticky note on this issue at the top of this forum or the thousands of similar threads you would have found out your chances of getting the father's rights terminated as nil.

On the other hand, you do have a good chance of getting sole legal custody as long as he has visitation. If you can document the problems getting his approval on decisions, then a court may award you sole legal custody.
    jrsmommyy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2009, 02:10 PM

Thanks you answered my question perfectly I did read the sticky and I suppose I wouldn't want his rights as a parent taken away. I am going to a legal aide office Thursday to see if I can get court ordered mediation classes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can mom change son's name without father's consent? [ 7 Answers ]

My fiancé has a 20 month old son. His "father" has not paid a penny in support and has not seen him in a year. Prior to that, he's seen him only about 4 or 5 times when his mom took him to see him. My fiancé and I just had twin boys who have my last name. My fiancé will have my last name and...

How Do I get my son's biological father's parental rights relinquished [ 6 Answers ]

I live in Washington State and am seeking information on ending the parental rights of my son's biological Father. My son is 14 years old and has had no contact with his B.F. for 10 years. His Father is not required nor can be required to pay child support due to a type of Social security he is...

Can I request a DNA for my son's father's new son? [ 1 Answers ]

My son's father lied and told me he was divorcing and we had a planned pregancy. He abandoned us and returned with his wife who he also got pregnant while I was pregnant. He is trying to introduce my so to his son as his brother. However, his family is telling me that they are sure that it is...

My son's last name. Mine or Father's? [ 15 Answers ]

Well I am in a tough situation. I am currently 7 months pregnant. I am not together with the baby's father. I live with my parents, and he hasn't provided anything what so ever for me this whole time that I have been pregnant. He verbally abuses me, he's threatened my life and has put his hands on...

Changing my son's name to his father's name. [ 2 Answers ]

I stay in Miami, Florida and my question is how do I go about to change my sons last name to this father's last name. When he was younger I did change his last name to His fathers last name then hyphenated my last name. I called vital statistics and asked if I could just drop my last name from...

View more questions Search