Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Green Elephant Posts: 106, Reputation: 8

Sep 29, 2009, 12:01 PM
    Tips for a growing musician.
    I'm in a band, and have been for the past 5 years or so, and I was wondering if any experienced musician, who has toured, or has been somewhat successful would mind giving me some pointers.

I'm in college right now, but I've made it so I can practice 3 days a week, play shows every weekend, and I have 4 months during the summer to tour.

Doing both school and music has given me a lot of anxiety, so if there is any musician out there who could give me some pointers, that would be great.

More specifically: is being able to play shows every weekend, and 4 months for touring out of the year enough time to allow a band to grow as much as it could without holding it back?

Thank you.
    Rocker Jack V Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Oct 3, 2009, 10:18 PM

Hi Green Elephant,
    I am not a touring musician, though I have had much experience in playing with bands, putting together bands, writing songs, playing guitar, and singing. School has always come first for me. I think if you can manage to do the band thing AND keep your grades high in school you're a hero in my book. I don't know if this is the case for all musicians, but guitarists don't really come into their own until they're 23-25 years old. So after you get your university degree and you have some job security in your life, you can attempt to pursue music as full-time career. The music industry is a risky business. Don't be nervous about not making it, or missing your break. If you're meant to "make it" your songwriting and your persistence will speak more than anything else. You seem to be on the right track!
    Green Elephant Posts: 106, Reputation: 8

Oct 4, 2009, 05:01 PM
    I appreciate the words greatly man. Any encouragement is great, so thank you
    dhatura Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2009, 10:23 PM

Look into cdbaby.com.
    You need a good clean recording, possibly a website, then start on pr material. I have just finished our site. Take a look. Maybe you'll get some ideas.
    Dhatura
    dhatura Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2009, 10:24 PM
    And if you need any other pinters feel free to message me at any time
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2009, 10:28 PM
    Hi, dhatura!

Once a thread has been started, all information needs to stay on the thread so that others with similar questions can benefit by the information that's exchanged.

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How does one become a musician? [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, I have great love for music and I believe I have a strong talent and good ear. I have bought a piano and a guitar, and I've learned to read 8 octaves sight reading in just about a month, but only at 40bpm, but I'm sure it will get better with time. I am currently at age 22, I have...

Struggling musician! [ 3 Answers ]

Hey, Im a singer living in West Palm Beach and I have written tons of songs and lyrics and really want to get in the studio, make some demos and get out there. Would anyone know about the first steps to getting that done? Or even suggest the right kind of studios to look into?

Musician no one knows about [ 3 Answers ]

I make music. I play it, record it, and produce it myself on my little laptop (with the help of garageband). Of course they be my friends and family, but everyone who has listened to my music has only given me compliments galore. They tell me to get my music out there, that I could be somebody,...

Beard growing style tips [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My husband and I are young, we are not fimiliar with the complex nature of growing and maintaining a beard (for him not me,. lol). I am looking for advice to help my husband to grow a reasonable healthy looking beard.:) As Muslims know, it is part of the religion for men to have beards... but...

Name of Country Musician [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know the name of the blind country singer who sang a song called "Love and War"? He would have been in the era with Johnny Paycheck, Ray Charles, Glen Campbell? Thanks for your input.

View more questions Search