Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jollygoo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2004, 03:50 PM
    Puppy not chewing food
    My 3 month old cairn terrier literally wolfs down her food without chewing it - is this bad for her and how can I encourage her to chew her food properly?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2004, 07:26 PM
    Re: puppy not chewing food
    The dogs seem to be to digest the food chewed or unchewed. There are problems with them throwing up and worse yet even choking to death. It is a big problem with Labs. The most common solution is to spread it out so they can't get as big of a mouthful. I still don't know if they chew it or not, but they throw up less and don't choke. Some people use a cookie sheet. Many of my friends simply throw it in the bottom of the crate. That works very well with several dogs in the house. Another technique is to put large rocks in the food dish. Same effect, the dog must work at getting the food rather than inhale it.

I met my old friend Hoover last Saturday. He is retired as a dog guide stud. I first met him as a puppy at the state fair in 1992. He was named for his eating habits and passed them on for several generations.
    jollygoo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2004, 10:52 AM
    Re: puppy not chewing food
    Thanks for your help - I think I will have to rename my puppy Dyson!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Daschund Puppy Chewing Problems... [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 7mo. Old Daschund puppy. He is the sweetest dog, but he has a MAJOR chewing problem. He has no less than six toys, gets treats twice a day, and has adapted pretty well to potty training. Unfortunately, he chews on other things as well... - carpet - baseboards (he chewed it until...

Chewing gum... [ 2 Answers ]

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this thread, if it isn't can one of the mods move it. I had a question about chewing gum. What do you think about it? I heard many benefits of chewing gum. Although I also heard of some negative aspects of gum chewing, they weren't as many... :)

Wanting to find the right type of puppy food. [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 4 soon to be 5 month old dachshund/Pomeranian mix and I started her on purina little bites indoor puppy food but about a week or so ago, I switched her to Purina beneful healthy growth for puppy's. She won't even eat the little bites anymore, she would rather eat beneful. After...

Puppy biting/chewing her fur [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 6 month old female westie. She has periodically chewed the fur on the front of her front legs. I've corrected her every time I've witnessed her in action. But I think she figured it out that she can chew when I'm not around and get away with it because now her front legs have bare spots...

Puppy chewing on rug [ 6 Answers ]

Is there a spray or something you can get to spray on things you don't want puppy to chew on? He seems to have taken a liking to my area rug and nothing seems to deter him from it. He has lots of toys he chews on but ends up back at the rug eventually. He has also started playing with the puppy...

View more questions Search