Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    classiclulu Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2009, 02:02 PM
    Fisrt time homebuyer tax credit
    Hi there,
    My husband and I came to U.S. last year. We both are holding H1-B visa, but my husband has signed a tax treaty document so he doesn't pay tax while I have to pay tax. Are we eliglible to receive the tax credit for the first-time homebuyer? Thanks.

Lu
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 29, 2009, 08:21 AM
    Lu:

If you file a joint return as residents, then, yes, you ARE eligible for the fill $8,000 First Time Home Buyer's Credit.

If you file a separate return as a resident, YOU are definitely eligible for $4,000 of the credit. Your husband may or may not be eligible.

About yor husband's situation, I know of NO tax treaty that allows a H-1B visa holder to be exempt from taxation. In order to be exempt, he must be either a J-1 visa holder who is a teacher, scholar or researcher or a L-1 visa holder who is in the country for less than 183 days. He should double-check to make sure his status is in fact legally tax exempt, because, right now, based on yor posting, he is NOT!

Sep 29, 2009, 11:45 AM

Thanks a lot. My husband is a H1B visa holder and works for non-profit research group. He has a W-4 form. I haven't filed tax return yet because I got the job this year. But if we are going to file a joint return next year, are we eligible for the $8000 First time homebuyer credit?
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 29, 2009, 01:37 PM
    If you file a joint return, you SHOULD be eligible for the entire $8,000 credit.

Regarding your husband, the fact that he works for a non-profit research group does NOT change the fact that he is here on a work visa, which makes his salary taxable.

Sep 30, 2009, 07:29 AM

Thank you.
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 30, 2009, 09:54 AM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dual-status alien and first-time homebuyer credit [ 1 Answers ]

If I elect to make the first-year choice and file as a dual-status alien for 2009 starting October 1, will I qualify for the 8000 first-time homebuyer credit? If so, will I have to purchase the house after October 1? Thanks

First-Time Homebuyer Credit with Not a US Citizen TWIST [ 5 Answers ]

I have been in USA for 6 years now. For TAX purposes, I am treated as a U.S. resident. Filing regular 1040 and stuff. I am now on H1B since Feb 2009. I saw that non residents are not eligible for First-Time Home buyer credit and it's a little confusing. Under the subject, are we talking about...

Resident or not? First time homebuyer credit [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I have two questions for the tax expert... First question: I hold an H1-B visa since October 2007 ( I am in the process of getting my green card)and I stayed for most of 2008 in the U.S. Thus, I am pretty sure that I meet the presence test and I can file as an U.S. resident. However, I am...

First time homebuyer credit [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a house with my fiancé in may 2008 it is my first home he was in the process of selling his condo at the time we got married in Nov 2009 - both of our names are on the house ( my maiden name since we were not married at the time of purchase) Can I still get the $3750...

1st Time Homebuyer Credit [ 7 Answers ]

We are in the process of buying a home and expect to close sometime in March. Can we file our 2008 taxes now and then file an amended return after closing to claim our 2008 First Time Homebuyer's credit?

View more questions Search