Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chaz79 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2006, 11:03 AM
    Nipple piercing
    I have a pierced nipple and there is some debate as to whether I will be able to breastfeed. I got told many years ago that it would be fine, in fact better as I have an extra hole!:confused:
    jgj6331 Posts: 153, Reputation: 19

Oct 31, 2006, 12:34 PM
    First off, unless the piercing happened to actually go through a duct - the "extra hole" theory is bunk. Even if it did happen to go through ducts, they have likely scarred closed and it is very doubtful any milk would be expressed through the piercing. In that you cannot completely clean the piercing hole, it will be a collecting place for germs and skin secretions and debris (skin 'cheese' and dead skin cells) - do you want your baby nursing on that? Also, with nursing, your nipples will be continually moist and irritated - a great setup for infection. Did you read the recent report of the teenage girl who had to have her breast removed after a nipple piercing? http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15450009/ Likely you'd get by okay breast feeding your baby - but there are increased risks (albeit small) to both you and the child. I recommend you consult with your doctors before attempting it.
    yippyioo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2008, 06:19 AM
    Sickkkkkkkk
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2008, 06:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chaz79
    i have a pierced nipple and there is some debate as to whether i will be able to breastfeed. I got told many years ago that it would be fine, in fact better as I have an extra hole!:confused:

You won't have any issue breastfeeding due to nipple piercing in regard to milk production or flow. As jgj6331 stated, there can be moisture and irritation, but you can also do several things to prevent, or limit, both of these.
    viivincent Posts: 26, Reputation: 0

Jul 10, 2008, 08:04 AM
    I had my nipples pierced but I took them out about 3 years ago. They healed up most of the way. Then when I had my daughter a little over a year ago I was worried about the same thing. But it didn't make it harder at all. jgj6331 is wrong milk does leak through the pierced holes and it didn't give me infections or anything. The only way it would give you an infection is if you plan on keeping the piercing. Which would mean you'll have to take it out every time u nurse and clean it every time. I'm sure you already can understand why that would not be fun. It would mean taking it our and in every couple hours. Ouch. Especially the first 2 weeks of nursing your breast are going to be extra tender and sore as it is adding that to the mix would really make it hard. So u might consider taking out the piercing completely for nursing. You can always get it repierced after you're done nursing if you really want to. Just some food for thought. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tongue Piercing [ 35 Answers ]

I just thoguth aobut tongue piercing and began imagining how mad it would be. Having a piece of metal in your mouth. I want to get one of these when I'm older, because its pretty easy to hide, and doesn't make you seem like a punk or anything (unlike eyebrow studs or anything. Can people tell me...

Self-piercing [ 18 Answers ]

Within the last year I have pierced a second hole in each of my ears 3 separate times, each time purposefully letting them heal. I have also pierced my belly button twice and let it heal as well. I make sure to sterilize everything, and I've never had any problems with infections or anything like...

?nursing cat with on lump on nipple [ 3 Answers ]

I have a nursing cat with four kittens about 3-4 weeks old. The mother cat is young not even a year old and has had a very hard time nursing. She has developed a large oval shaped hard mass on one of her back nipples. Feels like hard cold clay. Almost feels like it is attached to body. She has...

Pink nipple discharge [ 5 Answers ]

This morning when I woke up I noticed that pink colored discharged had leaked out of my breast during the night. I've had the normal clear discharge for a couple of weeks now and I'm 36 weeks pregnant and just wondering if that's normal??

Connection for dielectric nipple [ 1 Answers ]

Which way is the best to connect copper to galvenize pipe... gal pipe to brass valve to dielectric nipple to copper..? Thank

View more questions Search