Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ohsohappy Posts: 1,564, Reputation: 314
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2009, 11:57 AM
    Issues on Negligence.
    I'm writing a paper about negligence, and there's a question I have to answer. The problem is that I don't know exactly what the question means. Could someone please "translate" for me? Thank you!!

Question
    Was Plaintiff's knowledge of the danger of driving while intoxicated an interveining cause of her injuries?

Help?
    Sylvanta Sybil Posts: 74, Reputation: 5

Sep 29, 2009, 01:29 AM

It's a question about "ignorance of the law is not an excuse" thingy, like if she says that she didn't know it was dangerous to drink and drive, is he still responsible for her own injuries?

At least that's what I think it is.
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Sep 29, 2009, 06:08 AM
    Ohsohappy
    The answer to this question is found in the concept of cause and effect. Looks like we can't get away from that concept. Ironic isn't it? The concept of cause and effect share a lot in common with science, law and logic.

THIS IS NOT A LEGAL OPINION, but I think what they getting at with the question is bound up with terms such as necessary cause, sufficient cause, contributing cause and intervening cause. I think it works like this.

Person (A) knows they are drunk but decide to drive anyway. Person (A) has an accident with driver(B) of another car. Person (A) is injured but decides to prove negligence on the part of (B). (A) knows it was not her fault and she later discovers that (B) cannot see very well without glasses which (B) was not wearing at the time. Now (A) wants to prove intervening cause; this is despite the fact that (A) was drunk. She wants to say that it was (B's) fault, not the fact that she was drunk. I think this would fail on the grounds that (B's) actions were a contributing cause. If (A) could prove that (B) didn't take his glass with him when we went driving because he intended to cause an accident then this would be an intervening cause.

I am sure someone in the legal profession will correct me if I got it wrong.
    ohsohappy Posts: 1,564, Reputation: 314
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2009, 08:40 AM

I think that makes sense. I tried looking it up but they way they explained it confused me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is it Criminal negligence ? [ 4 Answers ]

My ex my kids mother willfully knew there was abuse going on at her mothers house. Ignoring my warnings telling her NOT to send them there did anyway and my 10 year old daughter was sexually molested by her step-grandfather. Would my ex be liable for Criminal negligence because she knowingly...

Willful negligence [ 7 Answers ]

Hope an attorney or person in the insurance industry will answer this, please no advice from well meaning non pros. I am the President of a HOA and a group of owner want to cull our deer herd. I believe most insurance companies will not cover us for gross or willful negligence. This does happen, we...

Tenant fraud and negligence [ 11 Answers ]

:confused: I'm in the state of Florida. I have a tenant who falsely filled out the lease, using someone else's name and information. I have proof of this. He also is subletting the house to people who may or may not be illegal aliens. It is very clear in my lease there is no subletting allowed....

Prenatal negligence [ 3 Answers ]

I'm not sure if this falls under FAmily Law but here is my question. What is the "time frame" for filing a suit of prenatal negligence? Like, what would be the Statute of Limitations for that? Would you have to file right away or can you file whenever? If you can help thanks!

Negligence by a lawyer [ 2 Answers ]

I hired a lawyer for immigration purposes. He was supposed to help in applying for renewal of my immigration papers. He never did file my papers for renewal. I brought the matter to the Law society of upper Canada where it was determined he was negligent and as such was cautioned by the afore...

View more questions Search