Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    IdahoMom2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2009, 10:01 AM
    Defending against Bank Garnishment, Self Employed.
    Hello,

Our sole prop. Business account was just garnished due to medical bills. We are in Idaho and I have found some exemptions but can not determine if our funds are exempt.

The account is used for some personal expenses, such as mortgage payments (which is what they took) and we run our business from our home. I wonder what exactly is considered "relief based on need"? My husband had major back surgery a year ago and could not go back to our business (too physical) and has not been able to find employment elsewhere as of yet. We currently receive state aid (food, medical for kids) due to our income being cut to almost 1/4 of what we were previously making. We are currently in the process of a home loan modification trial because we are 6 months past due and don't want to lose the home we've had for 8 years... it is crucial that the mortgage payment goes through otherwise we will lose our home and business.

I am picking up a packet from the sheriffs office today regarding defending against this however I can't tell if I have a real exemption?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!
    DisabledinMD Posts: 68, Reputation: 0

Sep 28, 2009, 09:33 PM

I put "idaho" and started writing garnishment into Google, which suggesteds this, "idaho garnishment laws". Loads of pages came up. This is something you will need to research yourself, as laws vary from state-to-state, and country-to-country. Nobody can really specifically answer your question, it will take some searching on Google or other search engine.

Unfortunately, if a court won a judgement against you, and obtained a writ of garnishment. They can garnish your bank funds from the business account. You might be able to get it reduced, or suspended for a time, but you need to see if there are laws regarding that. You might qualify for help from Legal Aid, and you may need a legal professional to get you through this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wage Garnishment and Self Employed [ 1 Answers ]

I am an Indiana resident. I have searched everywhere and have only found bits and pieces of information to answer my questions. However, I cannot satisfy my questions completely. Please help! Situation: My husband has a court ordered judgment against him and his company, let's call it ABC,...

Wage garnishment or bank account garnishment? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. Where do I start? I was looking up my name in my local county court records because I'm paying off a debt of 800 plus interest that I do NOT owe. I saw that a judgement was entered for 10x that amount for a voluntary repo on a lease vehicle back in August of 2002. Luckily, I was in the...

Bank garnishment, can I cash a check at my bank or will they keep it? [ 6 Answers ]

Are banks linked or does the garnishment have to be sent to all banks? I have a debt and they haven't frozen my account but about once a month they do a garnishment and drain my account. My questions: Can I just cash a check at my bank or will they keep it? If I take my check to a...

Bank Garnishment [ 3 Answers ]

I live in WA state and here the order to the bank is called a >Writ of Garnishment. Old debt on a car repossessed when employer went out of business. Lost wages... shock.. etc.. etc. Got back on feet, ordered credit report and notice car loan was listed as a charge off. Silly me thought...

Got a felony B Theft while being employed at a bank [ 2 Answers ]

She was charged with a felony (B) and now she is doing probation. One of the conditions was to tell her employer about the sentencing. It is a bank. Since she was a good employee the bank gave put her on a personal leave and a chance to just resign since the said she can’t be bonded. After the...

View more questions Search