Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    taoplr Posts: 415, Reputation: 144

Sep 27, 2009, 11:47 PM
    A word that means "mitigate" but about something positive
    The dictionary defines "mitigate" as: (1) To make an offense or a crime less serious or more excusable and (2) To make something less harsh, severe, or violent

Both definitions are about making something negative less negative. What is an analogous word for something positive?

Thanks!

Tao
    Bill-K Posts: 54, Reputation: 16

Sep 28, 2009, 12:46 AM
    Not sure if this helps, friend. Mathematically, something positive ALWAYS makes an equation less negative.

A 'Debit' is a negative. A 'Credit' is a positive. In accounting terms, they are self-explanatory - but the word 'Credit' seems to have a wider use in the analogous terms you seem to be searching for.

"It is to their credit that...."

"We should give them credit for...."

HTH
    taoplr Posts: 415, Reputation: 144

Sep 29, 2009, 07:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill-K View Post
    Not sure if this helps, friend. Mathematically, something positive ALWAYS makes an equation less negative.

A 'Debit' is a negative. A 'Credit' is a positive. In accounting terms, they are self-explanatory - but the word 'Credit' seems to have a wider use in the analogous terms you seem to be searching for.

"It is to their credit that...."

"We should give them credit for...."

HTH
    Thanks, Bill. That is a thoughtful answer. But I'm looking for something different.

Mitigate means to make something bad less bad. That something is negative in the sense of good or bad, not in a mathematical sense. I'm looking for a word that means "make less good" like diminish, limit, curtail, but I haven't found the exact word I want.

I appreciate your effort.

Tao

Sep 30, 2009, 01:31 PM
    Sorry, Tao, I mis-read your question, really. I see mitigation as a positive, thus making a negative situation less negative. If what you are looking for is the opposite of mitigation, then I think we need to find 'Antonyms' for it. I Googled "What is the antonym of mitigate ?" - and I got this back:-

"Mitigate means to make the effect of something milder or less intense. Exacerbate, intensify or worsen are good antonyms for it.

So, perhaps "Exacerbation, intensification, or worsening" may be useful ?

However, it seems that you need something which makes a good situation less good - rather than a bad situation worse.

"Detract" or "detraction" spring to mind here. Any use ?

Sep 30, 2009, 04:41 PM
    LOL - Q.E.D. as they say... :cool:

... "Sorted !!!" - as we say in these parts!!

'Twas a circuitous route - but we got there!! :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need to know what violation of probation "in lieu of" means [ 5 Answers ]

I am getting my probation revoked, and I do not understand why. The PD said "in lieu of" what does that mean exactly?

How do I use the word "abide" or "bide". [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Guys! I am attempting to write a poem. The closing line is " I shall find better suited tenants to abide my house." Is my use of "abide" correct, or should it be "bide" or even "abode." Thanks in advance for your help!

Word XP - Tab/ruler measurement is "ch". What is "ch"? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Guys I'm actually an advanced Word user but I'm scratching my head over what seems to be a very basic (but frustrating) issue after recently installing Word XP/2002. :confused: Note: I'm in Australia so I use metric. If you're using inches, 1.27cm = 1/2 inch. Not that it matters! I've...

Word means "reply quickly" [ 17 Answers ]

I remember that I have read and look up in dictionary a word which describe an ability or characteristic of a person (maybe a little child) who are able to reply (in communication) very quickly and clever. I read that word long time ago and now I need it. However, I cannot remember it and I...

View more questions Search