Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Danny_b Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2006, 08:10 AM
    Access Denied to folder...
    Hi, can anyone help me?

A while ago my computer had some problem, so I had to reinstall windows. When I got it all set up again, I noticed that some of my old documents had been saved from the previous installation. But now I cannot access the folder that these documents are in.

When I try to open it I get a message saying:

C:\Documents and Settings\Danny is not accessible
    Access is denied.

I've read about unchecking the 'simple file sharing' box, but I do not have that, I think that is because I am using Windows XP Home edition.

If anyone can understand my problem, what can I do to access my old documents?

Thank you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 31, 2006, 08:29 AM
    Make sure you log in as the Administrator or as Danny.

Oct 31, 2006, 08:48 AM
    I read something about safe mode? Is that where I can log on as "Administrator" ?

Oct 31, 2006, 09:33 AM
    That's one way. When you reinstalled, the files under the Danny account were kept private.

You can also check Start>Help for how to log on ad Admin.

Oct 31, 2006, 11:13 AM
    I went onto safe mode and still got the same message. I guess I will never get my files back, but the strange thing is, all of my mums documents were saved in the same way, except they can be accessed, just not mine.

Oct 31, 2006, 11:29 AM
    Did you create a new Danny user? Whenever you create a user name, it adds a folder for that user name under Doc & Settings. The customized settings and personal files are saved there. If you created a new Danny, then try logging in under a different Admin account.

Oct 31, 2006, 11:30 AM
    I did, so if I set another account to admin, there's a chance I can access it?

Oct 31, 2006, 11:31 AM
    Its what I would try.
    Chippe Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2006, 12:29 PM
    During your re-installation, you must have chosen to save old files. Now you have to take possession of them. I did that a few years ago. Goggle "taking possession of files" for the exact steps you have to take.

Oct 31, 2006, 12:34 PM
    Where exactly can I find it, Google is telling me about drugs and Belgian history when I serch for that :confused:
    joediggity Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2006, 03:02 PM
    Find the folder that contains your files, right click on it and choose properties. Click on the security tab. Click on advanced. Click on the owner tab. Check the box that says replace owner on subfolder or objects. Click OK.

Oct 31, 2006, 03:10 PM
    I do not have a security tab, possibly because I have XP Home edition, mabye?
    SESaskDFC Posts: 214, Reputation: 17

Oct 31, 2006, 08:29 PM
    Howdy:

How to Take Ownership of a File or Folder

Murray

Nov 1, 2006, 06:31 AM
    This was copied from: http://www.petri.co.il/forums/archiv...hp?t-1977.html

"I may be off base here but WinXP checks file permissions and you are getting "Access Denied" because the user you are logged on as does not have the proper permissions as recorded for the file(s).

If you are logged on as an Administrator you can "take possession" of a file or folder by clicking the Security tab in its Properties, clicking on the Advance button and then following the dialog. If its a folder you are taking possession of you can propagate your new rights down to its files and sub-folders, sub-sub-folders, etc.

HTH"

Nov 1, 2006, 09:38 AM
    I appreciate all the answers, but they all involve 'Security tab' and I do not have that in my folder properties.

I doubt I'll ever see my files again :(
    SESaskDFC Posts: 214, Reputation: 17

Nov 1, 2006, 03:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny_b
    I appreciate all the answers, but they all involve 'Security tab' and i do not have that in my folder properties.

I doubt i'll ever see my files again :(
    Did you log into the System Admin account through "Safe Mode"?

That is the only way to see the Security tab in XP HE!

Murray

Nov 3, 2006, 09:52 AM
    I went on there but I still didn't see the security tab :confused:

Nov 3, 2006, 12:26 PM
    Hey Danny, here's another answer - from http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_home_sectab.htm

How Do I see the Security Tab in XP Home?
    This tip provided by Gilles Pion

Go to: http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/nt...cm/default.asp

Instructions: Download the x86 (Intel) version of the Security Configuration Manager and save it to your hard disk. Double click the SCESP4I.EXE file you downloaded and extract the contents to a temporary location on your hard disk. Then open the folder you extracted the files to and locate the Setup.inf (Setup Information) file. Right click Setup.inf and select Install. After the installation is finished, reboot your computer.

If the download link on the page, listed above, does not work, try this one:

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/winnt...blic/tools/SCM

Right click the SCESP4I.EXE file and select Copy to Folder). Make sure to read the README files!!

Disclaimer: I have tested this procedure on my XP Home installation, and it works. I cannot guarantee that it will work on your system. Make sure you create a System Restore point before proceeding.

WARNING: Adjusting the permissions on a drive, file or folder can lock even the Administrator account out of that drive/file/folder. Deny Permissions take precedence over Allow Permissions, regardless of your group membership. Administrators are members of the User's group, by default. Uncheck Allow, rather than using Deny.

This page last updated 11/25/2005 21:16
    All material © 2003 Doug Knox
    unquote

Nov 3, 2006, 06:52 PM
    Thanks everyone for your help, I am such an idiot! I missed the tab both times I went on safe mode, I'm so embarrassed, but I got my files back now, Thanks everyone!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Access denied on ntfs [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Can any one help me, I got a 40 gb hdd Divided it in to 5 parts All fat32 file system except one and that is of 9 gb ITS NTFS I can access some folders and files in that drive but rest of them I can Its saying "e:\\ not accessible... access denied" i tried to move some files in...

Access Denied Error [ 10 Answers ]

Problem: Can not access data on a Hard Drive which came from another (now discarded) PC. The HD won't boot by itself (has XP Pro installed which I think is corrupted ). I have the HD mounted as a 2nd HD in a new (XP Pro) computer. The HD is visible as D: and I can see all the directories, but...

Access is denied ? [ 2 Answers ]

There is still a problem when I want to access to my ibm computer through my emachine PC I can access it easily but when try to access my emachine through ibm it says emachine is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource . Contact the administrator of this server to...

C Drive Access Denied [ 1 Answers ]

I installed a new hard drive not too long ago, making my c drive a slave and the new f drive the master. When I go to c:\documents and settings\owner, it tells be "access denied." What do I have to do to gain access? The reason I ask is because my anti-virus software keeps finding trojan horses...

Access is denied. Make Sure the disk is etc. [ 0 Answers ]

Put a cd-rw disk in my CD-Rom drive which is a read/write drive and I can't write to it. I get the following message: I have a DELL Dimension. It is thre years old... Access is denied: Make sure the disk is not full or write protected. That's it.. Can any help me. Thank you.

View more questions Search