Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rienne Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2004, 12:50 AM
    Sick daschund
    I have  afemale daschund who is 3 1/2 years old.she has never been mated.Recently I noticed a small swelling in her front first nipple,she had just finished being on heat.I took her to a vet who just gave some multi vit and reassured me.THis swelling appears and disappears.but is definitely itchy because she is trying to scratch it all the time,I out of my own sense gave her some ibuprofen ,later the vet told me it is contraindicated in dogs. After that she is eating very little,last two days not eaten anything,I also gave some famotidine after that because the vet said it must be gastritis, today she vomited copious amount which contained only hair ,raw onions and other crap,then she ate lot of green leaves,what could that reddnes of nipples be?y is she vomiting so much?has she got liver prob?base line investigations are normal,could you help me?I also noticed today ahe has scanty hair in some places where she has been scratching a lot,is it some form of generalised allergy?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2004, 05:20 AM
    Re: sick daschund
    Onions are not good for dogs. Maybe now that she has rid her self of them, she will settle down and she will start eating in a day or 2. A few missed meals won't hurt a dog.

What is she eating? Dogs have fewer health problems if almost all of their calories come from a complete and balanced diet. The easiest and surest way is to feed a commercial dry dog food that is labeled as tested by AAFCO. Most dogs will thrive on most commercial dog chows. Most of the problems with dogs not eating come from the common over feeding. In addition to other problems, Dachshund are prone to back problems if they are are over weight. Dogs eating a consistent diet have fewer intestinal upsets. Here is a link to a good guide to judging whether you dog is over weight, http://www.purina.com/dogs/nutrition.asp?article=292.

One of the best reasons for spaying a dog, is to avoid health problems later in life. Of course that eliminates the hassle of her seasons, worrying about unplanned litters, flaky behavior, etc. Except for breeding stock selected from the very best, most dogs are better off spayed or neutered. Doing so along with a proper diet should reduce her problems.

Getting her on a good diet, and spaying her will make it much easier for your vet to figure out any remaining problems and effective treatments for them. It may be tough cutting out her treats from the table, but for the sake of her health, you must reduce them to almost nothing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

3 yr old sick [ 50 Answers ]

Hi everyone. I have a question about my son. Before I start he has seen a doctor and they are trying to figure this out but I thought one for you might have an idea. He is going to be 3 next month. Around the beginning of May he got the Rotavirus. I never heard of it before he got it but I guess it...

Very sick daschund [ 6 Answers ]

We are from Michigan, our dog has travelled to Colorado and while seemed A bit under the weather when leaving has now become very ill. The vet in Colorado has put him on steroids and antibiotics and 12 days into this he is not doing well. He has a high fever, hardly moves (have to carry him...

My dog is sick! [ 5 Answers ]

Hey my dog won't eat he has blissters on his mouth he is running a temp and has a swollen gland and I need 2 noe what it is fast so please help!! :eek:

Sick daschund dog please help [ 14 Answers ]

We recently took in a stray daschund about 8 weeks ago. He is the best dog I have ever known. He is already a couple of years old, because he was already fixed when we found him and VERY housebroken, also extremely smart. The past 4-5 days, her started puking, has not eaten since. At first he...

Sick Daschund [ 2 Answers ]

My dog may have gotten a vitamin that was dropped and never found-does anyone know if that's a problem? He's 13 and usually active but he's been sluggish and now not eating. I don't know if I should take him to the vet.

View more questions Search