Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1geekmom Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2009, 05:44 PM
    Novation and Quitclaim to ex-husband in Illinois?
    My ex-husband and I have been living apart for over a year and divorced about a month. The loan is in both our names and I agreed to a quitclaim after he refinanced in his name only. He can't get it refinanced, isn't working and is now almost 3 months. Behind in the mortgage. If I "force" him to sell it ,he will walk away and leave me with the $1,600 a months. Mortgage until sold. I can't afford this as a single mother receiving $0 child support nor can I afford a lawyer to help. What about Novation? Would that get my name off the loan? Then I could quitclaim and be done with it! In case it matters, it is a manufactured home (mobile home) in Illinois. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 27, 2009, 05:48 PM

There is no real way to get your name off the loan, the divorce order for him to pay it, merely gives you grounds to take him back to court to try and force him to pay it, or pay you back.

So force him to sell it, he is not paying the mortgage now, so his walking away changes what??
    You should have forced the sell from day one. You said it is already 3 months behind, that effects his credit and your credit both.

Even if you quitclaim, that does not change the mortgage and they can and will still go after you for payment.
    1geekmom Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2009, 05:49 AM
    Good point! Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Novation to clear credit card debt [ 1 Answers ]

Is it true that if you are behind on your credit card payments and some of them have been turned over to 3rd party, that you can actually send them a check along with a novation agrrement which cancels out the original debt and binds them to terms that you yourself set up. Which in turn can be sent...

Divorce and credit card debts-Novation? Bankruptcy? [ 2 Answers ]

I divorced last year and my ex-husband agreed to pay for the credit card debts ($10,000 joint and $30,000 under my name) on the divorce decree. My credit card debt was originally his because he convinced me to get my own credit card (I didn't have any) and then balance transferred all his debts to...

Quit Claim Deed - Novation [ 6 Answers ]

Last year my wife and I did a quit claim deed on property in Georgia to in order keep it out of foreclosure. The person who deeded the house to has yet to obtain their own financing. Although they are paying the mortgage in a timely manner, it still affects our debt to income ratio therefore we are...

Quitclaim Deed [ 3 Answers ]

I recently was married, and now would like to quitclaim half of my property to my new wife. I know, why would I ever do that! Well, because she will be quitclaiming half of her property to me! They are both condominiums, and we thought we could accomplish this without an attorney, as it seems...

Quitclaim Deed [ 4 Answers ]

Property in question is in Virginia. My parents lived in and paid taxes on this property for 35 years (still paying). My grandmother listed on the deed her successors, which were my mom and her remaining living siblings at that time which was 28 yrs. Ago. Most others listed as property owners on...

View more questions Search