Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bugarbear1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2009, 05:24 PM
    High school physics
    I am having trouble solving the following problem.
    Three people are pulling on a tree. The first person pulls with 15N at 65 degrees; the second with 16N at 135 degrees; the third with 11N at 195 degrees. What is the magnitude and direction of resultant force on the tree?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2009, 07:02 AM

You need a sketch for those kinds of questions. After that, calculate the components of the forces, preferably vertical (at 0 degrees and 180 degrees) and horizontal (at 90 and 270 degrees).

I'll break the first force for you.

With the sketch, you'll find that the hypotenuse is of length15, and the angle with the vertical 65 degrees.

With the principles of cosine, cos 65 = Adjacent side/Hypotenuse

The adjacent side is the vertical component.

Now, the opposite side:
    From the principle of sine, sin 65 = Opposite side/Hypotenuse

That is your horizontal component.

Now find the components of the other forces with the help of your sketch. Take care of the directions.

Then, find the resultant forces. Some vertical components will cancel themselves, as will do some horizontal components.

After, that, recombine the resultant forces with the Pythagoras' Theorem, and tangent principle to find the angle.

Post your answer.
    pratibhamehta Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2010, 09:32 AM

Sorry its not understandable to me
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2010, 07:17 AM

What do you not understand? Post what you have done up to now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Night school for high school-aged people [ 15 Answers ]

I heard about there being night school for high school kids. In fact, I think a friend of a friend went to night school when I was in jr. high. I've searched Google, and can't find any listings or info for night schools in PA. Does anyone know if they exist for high schoolers, and where I could...

I need to know the nam of this song emerg its off high school high [ 3 Answers ]

Ok this song isn't on the soundtrack I went through all of them. The song starts when there about to do the chicky run. If you know it please tell me

Is is a poll for any middle school or high school kids about drugs? [ 6 Answers ]

What kind of drugs are being sold at your schools? How easy is it to get? Where are you from? This is a seriouse question I'm curiouse to no if it matters where you are from or if all schools are alike...

My High School GED [ 6 Answers ]

How do I get my high school GED?:)

What should High School really be about? [ 3 Answers ]

I Think Students Should Go To High School For What They To B In The Future. Instead Of Gooing N Taking Classes They Don't Need.

View more questions Search