Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    russharv63 Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2009, 04:19 PM
    Should I get a lawyner for my girlfriends injury?
    My girlfriend fractured her tailbone by slipping and falling at work. She works at a top rated pizza franchise. She said the floor was slick because the restrauant had closed down for about a week to be remodeled and have the floor replaced. The vinyl floor was replaced with a concrete floor that has a shinny surface. The store has cameras and her fall was recorded on tape. She was out of work off and on for about one month and was given pain medication to help her cope. She does not have any serious complications from the fall and injury. She was given the OK to return to work. She received workers compensation for the period she was out of work. They want her to sign a waiver to end the workers comp and I think that she will be offered a settlement of 52 weeks of wages from their insurance. Since that time the pizza franchise has been looking at fixing the floor that my girlfriend slipped on but is not admitting any fault. My question is if she should take the settlement or get a personal injury lawyner and sue. She makes $7.25 per hour and works about 35 hours per week. She will probably receive about $10,000 from the settlement. Should she settle or get a lawyner and sue?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2009, 04:25 PM

She needs to consult with a workman's compensation attorney - not a personal injury attorney. The workman's comp attorney will review her case, medical records and give a good opinion as to whether she should settle or not. If she is in need of future medical care due to the slip and fall he will be sure to see that the future medicals are included in the settlement.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 27, 2009, 04:25 PM

Sounds like a reasonable settlement to me. With no lasting injury and only losing a month of work, the settlement sounds more than reasonable. I doubt she would get as much in a suit.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 27, 2009, 04:29 PM

It they offer her anything beyod her bills being paid and her work time being paid, she is lucky, They have no need to offer any settlement if there is no lasting injury, normally this never happens on minor injury
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2009, 06:56 AM

In some States you cannot sue your employer - the way around it is to sue a third party which caused the condition (the contractor, for example) and the contractor "brings in" the employer.

As Twinkie said - this is the stuff which a WC Attorney would handle to make sure her benefits are protected.

Otherwise I agree with everyone else - I see no permanent injury, no "substantial" (in the words of the law) injuries.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Why did my girlfriends mom do this? [ 9 Answers ]

OK, a few days ago my girlfriend and I were sending flurty text messages to each other. One night my girlfriend forgets to delete them. The next morning her mom find them and starts a huge argument with her and calls her a "f***ing slut". My girlfriend is not a slut at all, not one person would...

How to get a girlfriends [ 6 Answers ]

I'm 14 in da 7th grade & I like this girl in da 6th we went out like 4 times I think but she broke up with me for a dude,and she made a promise to her friend that she won't go back out with me what do I do??

My girlfriends mom [ 4 Answers ]

My girlfriends mom wants to get a divorce with her husband of 26 years. They have not talked to each other in 2 years, but still live in the same house. He has a lot of money, he is a mailman and his mother has over 3 mill to her name that will be his once she passes away. Lois (my girlfriends...

Ex girlfriends [ 5 Answers ]

About 2 months ago my girlfriend broke up with me. About a month ago she called me and said it was an accident, then in the same sentence said that she called to ask a question. The call was also from a new cell phone number. She then called me later that week and said she misdialed. What does...

My Girlfriends EX [ 2 Answers ]

My fiancé and I, Are very much in love with each other, I have a lot of insecurities for some reason, But we have managed to pull threw them. She has been loyal and faithful to me, From what I can recall on. About 4 months after first dating, She received a letter from her ex boyfriend, Which...

View more questions Search