Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LILMAMA77 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2006, 06:50 AM
    Collections
    In md what is the worst that a collection agency do to you when you have a judgement against you and you don't have money to pay them ,or you are paying them what you can
    What is the worst that can happen,
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2006, 06:55 AM
    Nothing, if you don't have anything. A judgment just means that if they ever learn of a bank account or employer, they can get your account or wages garnished.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 31, 2006, 07:03 AM
    The term is judgement proof. This means that you have no income and no assets. The worst they can do is report the outstanding debt to the credit bureaus.

But they CAN sit on the judgement, and, if you ever acquire any assets, jump on them.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2006, 07:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LILMAMA77
    or you are paying them what you can
    what is the worst that can happen,
    Hello LIL:

Hopefully, you're paying them with postal money orders. If you're using a checking account, they of course, know where it is, and they can attach it. I wouldn't put any more money in there. You can certainly open another account somewhere, but if the collection agent is aggressive, he can find out about that account too, or any for that matter.

Although being "judgment proof" is not an ideal situation, it does have its advantages. He can't really collect anything, and probably knows it. He's going to intimidate you as much as he can to try to shake money out of you. But, if you don't have it - you don't have it.

That puts YOU in the driver's seat. YOU control the negotiations. He gets what YOU give him, or he gets nothing. I would use that leverage for all it's worth. Borrow, if you must, 10% of the debt. Offer these sleazebags that, and not a penny more, if they accept it as full payment. Or they can pound sand.

That's what I would do anyway.

excon
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2006, 08:40 PM
    The worst that can happen is that they'll get a judgment against you, then attach your wages for repayment of the debt and report your debt as defaulted to the credit bureaus. It could make it tough for you to get future credit, at least at reasonable rates.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Procedures for US collections [ 4 Answers ]

Can someone let me know if a US collection agency must follow Ontario Canada procedures if trying to collect from a Canadian citizen living in Ontario?

Because collections [ 2 Answers ]

What is the longest that a debt collector has to collect on a loan in BC? What kinds of bearing does the statute of limitations have on this?

Collections [ 1 Answers ]

What is the main difference between associative arrays and nested tables How to choose in pl/sql program Satya:)

Collections [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Utah. I have a hospital debt that is large enough that I cannot pay what the hospital wants me to pay each month and they have advised me that it will go to a collection agency. My Question is: "If i make the monthly payments i can afford to the collection agency, can they still...

View more questions Search