Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    natalie1xxx Posts: 120, Reputation: 3

Sep 27, 2009, 12:38 PM
    Romeo and Juliet critcal essay
    Well I have to do a critical essay for english , here is the question ' Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet" has as much to do with hate as it has with love. Looking closely at two contrasting scenes; Act 2:2 (the balcony scene) and Act 3:1(The fight scene), explain to what extent you think this is true."

This is what I have done so far , I will do the proper introduction later . I haven't finished but can you all tell me what to change to make it better and stuff thanks xxxx

Shakespear’s “Romeo and Juliet” has as much to do with hate as it have with love to a large extent. The play is about two lovers who are from opposing families so therefore shouldn’t be together. In the end of the play Romeo and Juliet both tragically die. In act 2:2 we see Romeo and Juliet declare their love for one another. As Juliet clearly states “My bounty is as boundless as the sea, my love as deep. The more I give to thee, the more I have, for both are infinite.” This shows us that Juliet’s love is infinite, that it will always last and never run out, that it is irrevocable.
    The contrast of light and dark is an important and main feature throughout the play, Romeo shows this by saying “It is the east, and Juliet is the sun. Arise, fair sun, and kill the envious moon, who is already sick and pale with grief.” This shows that Romeo is comparing Juliet to the sun which is light and therefore symbolises good, innocence and happiness. It also shows us that the sun triumphs over the moon which is dull and pale.
    We also see Romeo describing love as having no limits “with love’s light wings did I o’erperch these walls, for stony limits cannot hold love out, and what love can do, that dares love attempt.” This shows us that no obstacle can get in loves way; nothing can hold love out as he climbed the walls with loves light wings. He feels as if he can do anything and no man or object will get in his way.
    In contrast to act 2:2 where love is the key feature, we see hate and destruction as the main point, Mercutio shows this by saying “Good King of Cats, nothing but one of your nine lives.” This metaphor shows us that Mercutio is comparing Tybalt to a cat and he is simply saying that he is going to take one of his nine life’s by killing him.
    We also see that darkness is a main theme, contrasting and threatening light, Romeo says “This day’s black fate on more days doth depend, this buts begins the woe others must end.” Mercutio has just been killed by Tybalt so Romeo is using darkness to suggest that it is a sinful thing and he also calls it fate because he believes that it was meant to happen, it is just destiny.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2009, 12:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by natalie1xxx View Post
    well i have to do a critical essay for english , here is the question ' Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet" has as much to do with hate as it has with love. Looking closely at two contrasting scenes; Act 2:2 (the balcony scene) and Act 3:1(The fight scene), explain to what extent you think this is true."

this is what i have done so far , i will do the proper introduction later . i haven't finished but can you all tell me what to change to make it better and stuff thanks xxxx

Shakespeare’s “Romeo and Juliet” to a large extent, has as much to do with hate as it have with love. The play is about two lovers who are from opposing families so therefore, shouldn’t be together. [According to whom, please?]
    [Space.]
    In the end of the play, Romeo and Juliet both tragically die. [Might want to describe how they die. This could be one paragraph by itself.]
    [Space.]
    In act 2:2 we see Romeo and Juliet declare their love for one another. As Juliet clearly states “My bounty is as boundless as the sea, my love as deep. The more I give to thee, the more I have, for both are infinite.” This shows us that Juliet’s love is infinite, that it will always last and never run out; that it is irrevocable.
    [Space.]
    The contrast of light and dark is an important and main feature throughout the play. Romeo shows this by saying, “It is the east, and Juliet is the sun. Arise, fair sun, and kill the envious moon, who is already sick and pale with grief.” This shows that Romeo is comparing Juliet to the sun which is light and therefore symbolises good, innocence and happiness. It also shows us that the sun triumphs over the moon which is dull and pale.
    [Space.]
    We also see Romeo describing love as having no limits “with love’s light wings did I o’erperch these walls, for stony limits cannot hold love out, and what love can do, that dares love attempt.” This shows us that no obstacle can get in loves way; nothing can hold love out as he climbed the walls with loves light wings. He feels as if he can do anything and no man or object will get in his way.
    [Space.]
    In contrast to act 2:2, where love is the key feature, we see hate and destruction as the main point. Mercutio shows this by saying “Good King of Cats, nothing but one of your nine lives.” This metaphor shows us that Mercutio is comparing Tybalt to a cat and he is simply saying that he is going to take one of his nine life’s by killing him.
    [Space.]
    We also see that darkness is a main theme, contrasting and threatening light, Romeo says “This day’s black fate on more days doth depend, this buts begins the woe others must end.” Mercutio has just been killed by Tybalt so Romeo is using darkness to suggest that it is a sinful thing and he also calls it fate because he believes that it was meant to happen, it is just destiny.
    Hi, natalie1xxx!

I've put some possible changes bolded in black for you.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2009, 12:36 AM
    Hi again, natalie1xxx!

I'm glad that what I did was helpful to you!

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am living romeo and juliet! [ 4 Answers ]

I am a 22 year old mother of a 2 year old and I live with my mother. I just started dating my daughter's dad again about 4 months ago. We loved each other before and really we never stopped loving each other but my mother told me that in order for me to live with her (she's helping me a lot) I...

Romeo and Juliet [ 2 Answers ]

If you were to put on Romeo and Juliet with six actors, two female and four male, what characters would you keep and which would you lose?

Modern Day Romeo and Juliet [ 2 Answers ]

There is this guy that I like. I met him when he applied for a job where I work. After he was hired me and him had gotten cool. I started liking him, so I decided to tell my brother about him. Me and my brother are very close so I tell him everything. While telling my brother about him, he realized...

View more questions Search