Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jack Manger Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2009, 12:37 PM
    Learning Linux
    Hi, I'm an experienced computer user but I've never learned anything about LINUX. I'd appreciate it if someone would recommend books, learning materials, a web site etc. where I could begin with the basics. Linux seems to be popular and I'd like to get a handle on it. Thanks for your time and attention to this matter.
    Jack Manger
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Sep 27, 2009, 01:41 PM

Hi,
    I could try to give you part of the contents of my bookmarks, but I think I put them at:
    gearby @ Tripod
    On the Operating System page.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    cmeeks Posts: 754, Reputation: 64

Oct 8, 2009, 12:34 PM

Ubuntu is a good choice for the beginner there is a lot of community support available. There are several online ebooks available this one is nice for new users.
    Chris-infj Posts: 31, Reputation: 4

Oct 23, 2009, 09:09 AM

I think that for a total Linux newbie, Linux Mint, a fork of Ubuntu, would be easier. You get to download apps from both the Linux Mint repository as well as the Ubuntu repository and /or the Ubuntu launchpad. Neat.

Then later, if you want to customize your system or you can learn to remaster your own distribution.

You don't have to completely ditch Windows either but can run it in Virtualbox or do a dual-boot of XP and Linux.
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2009, 11:09 AM

Using linux isn't as difficult as most people think. The desktop environment runs much like widows. The programs however tend to give you a much greater degree of control and the error messages are much easier understood.

I would recommend installing on a computer you don't mind screwing with. Experiment with the different GUI programs available. Each distro has its different perks. Generally speaking though, you would get the most out of linux by studying the bash commands. They are comparable to using the command line in windows. You will find a "program" called terminal that does the trick.

bash commands - Linux MAN Pages

That is a site that will give you a list of commands and what they do and options and other stuff. Experiment with what you find interesting.

Good Luck
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Nov 4, 2009, 06:03 PM

I agree with the above post on about 99% of it. I; however, think installing Virtual PC 2007 and running your chosen Linux OS in a virtual state would be more appropriate then being willing to harm an entire PC.

As far as info goes I agree with the second post. I myself have Ubuntu among others and I feel it's a nice change of pace but doesn't differ as much as many people may think!

Rick
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2009, 08:20 PM
    I use a virtual machine myself and find that it is nice. But I use a separate PC to experiment with the multibooting, and have found some issues with some distro's inside a VM. I have had issues with sound, or getting it to recognize the CD drive after installation. A couple of times I had nasty slowness, even with 2GB ram on the hardware, and 1GB for the VM.
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2009, 06:25 AM

For one, all well-known Linux distros are the same. It's the software packages and the desktop environment that give that illusion, which you can change freely. Alghough, distro without X would be hard for anyone.

Someone gave you a link of BASH commands, read that, that's pretty much all you need. Then, read the manual for the desktop environment your using.

I agree with ITStudent2006, use VMs, it's a lot easier and alows you to have several OSs on one box. The downside, like the guy above pointed out, is you're not going to get 100% functionality because you're using virtual hardware, so no 3D acceleration or quality sound. And if you're host machine has minimal memory, you're computer will slow down big time.

I run 2 VMs at once, both webservers, but I have a quad-core intel and 4 GB of memory.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Linux ! How far you people aware of linux? [ 30 Answers ]

It is a forum for people please just tell me what all you know about linux?? How far it is useful??

Linux [ 6 Answers ]

How to install a linux os like ubuntu,red hat and need to have windows os also

Distance learning or traditional learning [ 4 Answers ]

which is more better distance learning or traditional learning?:)

Why should I use Linux [ 4 Answers ]

Ok, well I use windows vista and xp and I've tried mac and I honestly don't like either, I think they suck equally like at first a mac is better but I've changed things on my Vista computer to make ti pretty much equal to a Mac Os. So I decided to look up Linux on YouTube and I realized that you...

Getting linux [ 1 Answers ]

Hi It's me again. First of all let me thank all the experts that have helped me with my problems. "THANK YOU GUYS" I ran all different sorts of scans on the computer and now it's running faster because all the rubbish files are deleted and the spy sweeper has killed all the spies. One of the...

View more questions Search