Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rick2009 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2009, 06:54 PM
    Lawn mower engine trouble
    I have a Scotts riding mower, Model S2046. Every so often, I will start cutting the grass and after about 15 minutes, the engine will start to sputter, then stop. I wait about 5-10 minutes and the engine will start again and be O.K. The fuel filter is clear of debris (I have changed it several times just to make sure). Plugs and air filter are new. If you have an idea of what the problem is, I would appreciate your opinion. Thank you.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Sep 26, 2009, 07:18 PM

Hi,
    Well, assuming your key is not sheared, I would say it is an ignition problem. Key pariallly sheared will do the same thing.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    Rick2009 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2009, 06:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by crigby View Post
    Hi,
    Well, assuming your key is not sheared, I would say it is an ignition problem. Key pariallly sheared will do the same thing.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    I'm confused. Can you be more specific,. not sure what you mean. All this time I've been thinking it was a fuel related problem. Thanks.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2009, 06:51 PM

Fuel problems don't act that way. They aren't predictable. Fuel problems are intermittant. The ambient temp and humidity or the ability to coil the ignition components changes the time a bit. Fuel problems just don't act that way.

What you will likely find is if you test for spark when the engine dies, you won't have any.

This points to an ignition problem. Coil or ignition module.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 27, 2009, 07:00 PM

Clear the vent hole in the gas tank cap.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Engine oil for lawn mower [ 5 Answers ]

I cannot find info in my manual. What kind of engine oil can I use in a Troy-Bilt Model Series 440 lawn mower?

Lawn mower trouble [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have a Snapper lawn tractor ," lt 1833 hydro 18 hp". It kills the engine whenever I let the clutch out . Please help. It runs like a sewing machine up until I let the clutch out, it's like I hit a kill switch.

Lawn mower engine repair [ 3 Answers ]

How do I change the pull rope on my weed eater lawn mower

Lawn Mower Engine [ 2 Answers ]

I have a lot of smoking coming from my lawn mower engine and when I remove the front muffler there is oil in the muffler and leaking from the muffler pipe. What is the problem?

Frozen lawn mower engine. [ 8 Answers ]

My lawn mower has been resting for several months.Now that I have tried to start it, it will barely turn. Is there some way I can unfreeze the engine without taking it apart? Thanks, ...

View more questions Search