Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vfindia Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2009, 06:07 AM
    Heat of vaporization
    The boiling point of anhydrous Hydrofluoric acid is around 20 Celsius.
    Data shows that heat of vaporization of anhydrous HF is 7.493 kJ/mol.
    How is this possible? Suppose the room temperature is 25 Celsius. Then it will automatically be converted into vapors giving out heat. Then how come heat of vaporization value is positive? Please explain.
    Thank you.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2009, 08:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by vfindia View Post
    The boiling point of anhydrous Hydrofluoric acid is around 20 Celsius.
    Data shows that heat of vaporization of anhydrous HF is 7.493 kJ/mol.
    How is this possible? Suppose the room temperature is 25 Celsius. Then it will automatically be converted into vapors giving out heat. Then how come heat of vaporization value is positive? Please explain.
    Thank you.
    The boiling point indicates the temperature at which the material will absorb heat from the surroundings and evaporate. It says nothing about the rate of evaporation. If you put anhydrous HF in a vessel at 20 C and insulated the vessel so that no heat could enter, the material would not evaporate.

A positive heat of vaporization means (by convention) that heat is absorbed when going from a liquid to a gas.

I believe there are materials with negative heats of vaporization, but I can't think of any off hand.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Carrier Hvac heat pump with aux/em heat- NO AUX HEAT [ 1 Answers ]

I have tried to install Honeywell 7500d thermostat. I get heat pump heat but no emergency heat although the termostate is calling for it. The installation manual says to see authorized agent if I have a dual 0/b on existing thermostat and another wire is attached to common. As of now, I have ...

NO HEAT! Janitrol heat pump and AC system. Changing to Lux Thermostat. Wiring issue. [ 11 Answers ]

I have a Janitrol A/C and heat pump system. I replaced the thermostat with a Lux T9000LC The A/C works fine, but the heater does not. I have it wired as follows: G - Green Y - Yellow W - White RH - Pink B -

View more questions Search