Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ziggy5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2004, 12:32 PM
    Training older doxie
    My 5 year old Ziggy, the doxie, was lonely when I went back to work. So I was lucky to get a new 3 year old female to keep him company. They are best pals. However, the former owners lied to me when they said she was housebroken! Zelda is the sweetest little doxie, but will go to the bathroom iin the house even when the door is wide open. I know how to train a puppy, but not a 3 year old. Crating is not an option for Zelda. Also, she has no idea how to bark or signal to be let out. I personally believe that she was kept in an outside pen most of the time. Can you give me some ideas? Thanks, Dottie
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2004, 01:46 PM
    Re: training older doxie
    Dachshunds have a reputation for being hard to housebreak. Then you throw away an important tool, the crate. You housebreak an older dog, much like the proper way with a younger one. Identify when they need to go out, take them out, and give them a command and praise then they go. Having her crated while you are away or at work forces most of them to wait until you return, giving you the advantage of knowing they need out at that time. Otherwise you are forced to carefully watch her, watching for the quit playing and start sniffing around, especially near frequently used spots. Right after waking up from a nap is also a good time. Tying the dog to you works for some people. When you do take her out, don't let her just amble around. Keep her moving, that stimulates the body, and forces her to relieve herself while you are watching and can praise her. For some dogs, a short tether works to confine them in place of a crate.

You could give up and put down pads for her to use inside the house. Ask for Wee Pads at the pet store.

There could be an element of pack position here too. Obedience train her.
    Having a good pack structure reduces such problems. The dogs see all the
    People and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in
    The pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members
    Outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by
    Reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class
    Or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with
    A treat. Start at http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My older dog won't eat [ 7 Answers ]

I hope I'm using this correctly - I'm fairly new to internet conversations. My (soon to be) 16 year old dog stopped eating following medication for his cough caused by his heart murmur. We took him off the medicine when it elevated his BUN kidney results, but he has failed to return to a normal...

Older dog [ 11 Answers ]

I am struggling with an older dog in my household. He is 17 so I am lucky he is still around. It is a male schnauzer. He eats with no problem, but goesn't always take the medication that he needs of 5 pills in the morning, and 4 in the evening. If he is hungry, he will devour them with his...

Surgery on my doxie [ 2 Answers ]

It's me again, I took my dog (1-1/2 year old mini doxie) to the vet because of vomiting, dehydration, not eating or drinking. That was 2-1/2 weeks ago and I'm still dealing with issues. She's eating and drinking without vomiting. She's very lathargic and she's very nasil. When she breathes it...

Help, doxie sick [ 2 Answers ]

Help, I have a 1-1/2 year old Doxie, Nina. She's sick and need advice. The other day, she slept throughout the day and night. The only time she'll get up is when we took her out to potty. She didn't even get up to eat or drink anything. The next day she slept throughout the day. She finally ate...

Can you help me with my Doxie-Pom? [ 2 Answers ]

I have had my adorable little Doxie/Pomeranian puppy, Sparky, for a little over a week now. The Doxie is definitely predominant in him. He's been to the vet, and is being treated for parvovirus. How serious is this? The vet said it's rare for a puppy to die from it, but that doesn't exactly...

View more questions Search