Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Nov 2, 2009, 10:08 PM
    The main reason your getting flies is because the adult flies are able to reach your food, and veggie scraps.
    For anything you place in your composter, you need to bury it at least 2", don't matter with what, just needs to be covered on all sides.

You can also try hanging plastic freezer bags filled with water near the composter. :confused:
    Some gardeners swear by it.
    Verminators : HowStuffWorks Articles : Discovery Channel

K
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2009, 01:17 PM
    Really:cool::eek: They never said anything about that:rolleyes:
    I'll try the paper and a little soil.

Nov 3, 2009, 08:34 PM
    I started a pile back in the spring with oh, a couple, to 3hundred lbs. of soil, and as long as I kept the scraps completely covered, all was well, but let just a piece exposed, the flies would appear.

One grace I have is, the weather is getting colder so the fly problem subsides, but I still have to be careful or I can also attract the night foragers from skunks to deer.
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2009, 09:37 PM
    I used to have a semi open bin 7 years ago and never had any problem at all:confused:

Nov 3, 2009, 10:12 PM
    Has anything changed since this photo, Like after the big storm?
    What's your neighbor have on the other side of that fence?

Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2009, 09:01 AM
    That's my fence, the other side is the front yard. Nothing has changed in that area that I'm aware of. I'll check the front and see what's going on when I get home from work, but I think everything is still the same, unless a sprinkler broke.:confused:
    I had been just throwing stuff in there weekly and not putting anything on top. I'll bury now.:)

Nov 5, 2009, 05:56 AM
    It is also helpful if you can mix or turn the "pile" every now an then.

'bout that possible broken sprinkler... Its okay to have a moist to dry mix, but not one that is soppin' wet, otherwise you won't generate the heat needed for fermentation.
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2009, 04:55 PM
    I cleaned out all my hoses on the pond today and guess what?? It's running better:rolleyes:
    Also baited some mouse traps around the garden bench and wood pile with chunky peanut butter (all I had, used the rest for dog cookies) before they come into the house, I'm always keeping the door open:eek:

My Romaine is looking good:D I never tried lettuce before. I set up a pot (sort of) in the back area that doesn't get much sun except in the summer, but it is wasted space and I hate that. Don't know what I will plant in it yet. Maybe a tomatoe next year,

I've been collecting pieces of old duct work from an HVAC company that dumps their garbage where I work. If I can get to it before the 'Junk Man' comes... I have pots! Square, Rectangle, round... it's scary that my DH hasn't complained yet.:cool: I still have not painted them, so they are silver and look like what they are, but suit the purpose.

Jan 19, 2010, 10:05 PM
    Hi! JD was thinking 'bout you today :) (Series of storms in California :()

I'm continuing to get cuttings from Anak (Son of BB) have 'bout 5 now, and soon as the weather breaks in May I'll be planting them outside.

I was thinking of getting one of these...

Wadaya think? I checked on them, and it's a hybrid of a tom an poe plant. Kind of expensive though... k
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2010, 10:15 PM
    Very expensive, and I'm sure they won't ship to California.
    I would spend the extra 5 bucks and get 2, I'm sure you can grow anything:D Would you have to wait until all your tomatoes are gone before you can get a potato? If you dig up the roots, you will kill the tomato part, right:confused:

The weather is very icky here, but so far nothing has blown over and broke and even though the pond is overflowing the fish are staying in, which is a good thing because they would just be carried downstream to the chlorine pool:eek:

We had snow not that long ago and I don't know yet if my blueberries and blackberries survived. My key lime has lost all it's leaves, so I don't know about it either.:(

The entire yard just looks burned. I will know in a month or so what survived. It's very depressing, but nothing can be done at this point.

On a brighter note... I have Daffodils popping up every where:)

Nice hearing from you:D

Jan 21, 2010, 09:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Dahlia View Post
    Very expensive, and I'm sure they won't ship to California.
    I would spend the extra 5 bucks and get 2, I'm sure you can grow anything:D
    Well, most anything.
    Would you have to wait until all your tomatoes are gone before you can get a potato? If you dig up the roots, you will kill the tomato part, right:confused:
    That's a good point. I would think you would have to wait until all the toms are done before you would think 'bout digging up the poes.

The weather is very icky here, but so far nothing has blown over and broke and even though the pond is overflowing the fish are staying in, which is a good thing because they would just be carried downstream to the chlorine pool:eek:
    eddie sez... That would be somthin' to see...

We had snow not that long ago and I don't know yet if my blueberries and blackberries survived. My key lime has lost all it's leaves, so I don't know about it either.:(
    The berries should be okay,

Blueberries:
    cold-hardy blueberries tolerate temperatures of - 35°F (2° C)or below, and many cultivars survive temperatures between - 20 and – 25°F (-29 to -32° C) .
    Require acid soils, and a soil pH between 4.5 and 5.2 is ideal.
    http://www.cals.uidaho.edu/edcomm/pdf/BUL/BUL0815.pdf

Blackberries:
    Brambles grow best on a sunny site in sandy loam soil with a pH between 5.5 and 6.5
    http://ucce.ucdavis.edu/files/fileli...2161/17282.pdf

If your berries are in proximity to each other, try to keep a happy medium like 5.5.
    To tell if you need to apply acid or a substitute like sulfur, you should be able to get a pH tester from your local dedicated garden supply.

Here's a visual aid for Blackberries:
    Blackberry Diagnostic Tool

Key Lime:
    Borrowed from:
    Key Lime Tree | Plant Aficionado
    The Key lime tree is considered hardy to approximately 30 degrees F, or in USDA zones 9, 10, and 11.
    So if it wasn't too cold for too long I would think the tree would be okay, but not the fruit.

For both the Berries, and the Key Lime, drainage is crucial or the berries could end up with a fungus, and the tree with root rot.

As a side note:
    With all the rain your having, the pond, and pool waters should be diluted to a point that shouldn't affect the Berries, but if they are in the way of the runoff, I'd think 'bout creating some type of diversion, like sand ina sock, and lay them down for protection.
    If they are both downstream, just create a barrier on the lawn so the majority of the runoff stops some distance away from them, and drains into the lawn.

The entire yard just looks burned. I will know in a month or so what survived. It's very depressing, but nothing can be done at this point.
    I feel your pain, I'm in the same boat.
    Not sure how close this is to you, but if you in the mood for a break, check this out:
    Master Gardeners of San Mateo & San Francisco Counties - Tomato & Pepper Plant Sale
    On a brighter note...I have Daffodils popping up every where:)
    Those guys are hardy, I still have a gaggle of those, and Iris that survived our winter of '94... -22°F (-30° C)
    ... eek.. .

Nice hearing from you:D
    Thank You, it is nice to be out and about again.
    I'm going to Physical Therapy 3x's a week, it's helping, and I hope to be ready to go planting in May.

k
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2010, 10:28 AM
    Well, I just replied to you and it disappeared. I will try again when things are working right, wouldn't want to lose it twice.:D

Jan 21, 2010, 10:53 AM

I had trouble with my reply. :(

"Time to visit Wierd Occurences and goings on" :) :eek: :confused: :D :rolleyes:
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2010, 11:32 AM
    QUOTE: As a side note:
    With all the rain your having, the pond, and pool waters should be diluted to a point that shouldn't affect the Berries, but if they are in the way of the runoff, I'd think 'bout creating some type of diversion, like sand ina sock, and lay them down for protection.
    If they are both downstream, just create a barrier on the lawn so the majority of the runoff stops some distance away from them, and drains into the lawn.

As I was saying:rolleyes:, I don't have to worry about about the plants and flooding they are uphill by the house.

But I did find a better way of creating a barrier or diversion instead of sand. When our roof was being cleaned and blasted I didn't want any off the black gunk going into the pool or pond (they are downhill from the house) The man suggested garbage bags and the hose. Just put them where you want them and fill to a certain point with water, twist off and they shape themselves. It worked great and of course easy clean up.:D
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2010, 12:06 PM
    Would you mind if I joined in here, when I can?

I was the former secretary as well as president for our local horticulture club. I'm also an avid flower and vegetable gardener.

I haven't done much with my own gardening in the past couple of years. Am looking for some inspiration though...

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2010, 12:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post

I was the former secretary as well as president for our local horticulture club. I'm also an avid flower and vegitable gardener.

I haven't done much with my own gardening in the past couple of years. Am looking for some inspiration though...

Thanks!
    The more the merrier:D This is my favorite spot on the whole site, I learn so much from KUXJ and it's fun.:)
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2010, 03:53 PM
    Originally Posted by Clough

I was the former secretary as well as president for our local horticulture club. I'm also an avid flower and vegetable gardener.

Thanks!
    The more the merrier:D This is my favorite spot on the whole site, I learn so much from KUXJ and it's fun.:)
    Thank you!
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2010, 04:59 PM

My inspiration is to grow as much as I can instead of buying, plus it tastes better.
    I also love fresh flowers in the house, I have several small vases everywhere, that I love to just put small cut flowers in. flowers are expensive to buy:eek:

Plus I love being outside and can't stand to be idle:cool::rolleyes:

Jan 21, 2010, 05:38 PM
    But I did find a better way of creating a barrier or diversion instead of sand. When our roof was being cleaned and blasted I didn't want any off the black gunk going into the pool or pond (they are downhill from the house) The man suggested garbage bags and the hose. Just put them where you want them and fill to a certain point with water, twist off and they shape themselves. It worked great and of course easy clean up.:D
    What a novel idea! I filed that idea away in my "Chest o' Tips"

I was the former secretary as well as president for our local horticulture club. I'm also an avid flower and vegitable gardener.

Thanks!
    Sure Clough! But You'll haveta put up with my sidekick eddie chiming in once and a while.

Sounds like you would you have to start from scratch. Any particular way you'd like to go?
    What's that eddie?.....No, you're not getting another passenger, your locked in for this flight.

JD your so nice, you make a guy blush :o .

Fun's what we're all 'bout Clough. People, plants, and animals intertwining in their journey on this big blue marble we call "Earth".

K
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2010, 07:48 PM
    I'm trying to get inspired again.

There was one year that I started over 1,200 seedlings of vegetables and flowers.

I do have pictures of doing that. But, I would need to find them...

I gave most of them away as gifts to people.

Again, I'm trying to get inspired to do what I used to do.

I need help in being inspired...

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Felicity season 2 [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know who's the artist in the episode called "revolution" where felicity is doing reserch on the internet for the sit-in at the health center which was playing in the background. Also the season finale of season 2 where they're dancing at javier's wedding reception and felicity mention...

Tis The Season [ 33 Answers ]

I would love to hear all of your favorite Christmas Songs. This is my personal favorite... YouTube - Ghost of Christmas Eve

How often go in season ? [ 1 Answers ]

How often danes go in season ?

View more questions Search