Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    okcomputer87 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2009, 01:18 PM
    Stuck between two choices
    I have two job opportunities that I'm trying to get except they are in two different cities. I have been on a wait list for the first one for 2 weeks now and it is impossible to contact HR. This job is really great as it is a government job.

The other job in the other city is much more reachable however it is only a contract job but might work better considering I want to go back to school next year. I think I can get this job and just quit if I was to receive a response from the government job (could be expensive traveling), or I can discard the contract job totally and wait for the government job to contact me, then possibly look for another job if they do not?

Any advice?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2009, 01:21 PM
    Hi, okcomputer87!

If you need to move somewhere else, are you willing and able to do that? Is that even an issue here?

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2009, 01:41 PM
    Hi again, okcomputer87!

Are you still there?

Thanks!

Sep 25, 2009, 02:08 PM
    No moving is not really an issue for me
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2009, 02:15 PM
    Hi again, okcomputer87!

You could wait a long time for the job with the government. I would suggest going for the job that you know is a for sure thing. You want to go back to school anyway. Your real, permanent job will happen at some point down the line, after you've finished the schooling that you want to attend and complete.

Thanks!

Sep 25, 2009, 02:19 PM

Thanks Clough, although the other job is not for sure only of higher possibility.
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2009, 02:25 PM
    Hi again, okcomputer87!

Do you absolutely have to have a job right now?

Thanks!

Sep 25, 2009, 02:34 PM

Haha I believe so because I finished my undergrad at school and want to work to gain experience then try to do graduate studies

Why?
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2009, 02:40 PM
    If you don't need a job, then you go to school.

I didn't know that you had finished your undergraduate studies.

So, which job might further you in what you want to do, please?

Thanks!

Sep 25, 2009, 02:42 PM

Both jobs are more business/admin jobs that relate to my commerce degree. But neither really relates to my further studies.
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2009, 02:50 PM
    I would suggest then, going for the job that would least interfere with your studies.

What do you think?

Thanks!

Sep 25, 2009, 02:53 PM

Yeah that is definitely the best option, but it doesn't really tip the scale in either direction.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2009, 03:04 PM
    You want to go for the job that has the best future, and the one you know you will enjoy.

Can you see yourself working there 10, 15, or even 20 years from now? Then go for THAT job.

I wish you luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My son is making bad choices [ 5 Answers ]

My son is 19 and he is making some really bad choices. He has dropped out of college, quit his job with benefits, and is hanging out with some really bad kids. I really have no say over what he does because he is 19 and really does not live at home any more. He yes's us to death when my husband...

401 K choices [ 2 Answers ]

My company allowed us to contribute to a 401K plan via our Union pre-tax dollars in June. I made the following allocations. Now with the markets the way they are should I make some changes to what I have chosen in this list or leave it as is? Thanks. 5% High quality bond 5% Infl-prot sec 6%...

Choices [ 2 Answers ]

Joe, unfortunately, found himself in Hell after his demise here on earth. Upon his arrival, the Devil greeted him and advised him that he may choose his place of eternity from 3 rooms, behind the 3 doors that were before him. Joe walked up to door #1 and when he got near it the intense heat...

So Many Choices [ 8 Answers ]

This is a complex part of my life. Can anybody PLEASE tell me about the dark haired man that I know so well and care for so much. He has "problems" in his life, and I have "problems" in my life... very, very different problems. I'm looking for a reading... whatever you seems to get. It could...

View more questions Search