Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shottel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2009, 11:52 AM
    Buying a house on contract
    If you are buying a home on contract do you buy renters insurance or homeowners insurance.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2009, 12:11 PM

Until you are the owner and your name on the deed, you purchase renter's insurance. The seller of the property should have owner's insurance on the home. Check to see if in fact he does have owner's insurance and what are the policy limits and what is and what is not covered and if the insurance premiums are up to date.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2009, 01:09 PM

You wouldn't need to purchase insurance until you are the owner of the property. If you are a tenant (and only living there temporarily) then renter's is the way to go.

But the seller should maintain insurance on the property until closing and you take over as new owner.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Buying Piece of Land from Owner - Contract Form [ 2 Answers ]

Hey guys, I bought a home a few years back and the builder was holding onto the adjacent property to eventually build another house on it. Over the last few months with the way the economy has declined the builder has called me and offered the piece to me for under $15,000. We finally came to an...

Buying from a Land Contract [ 3 Answers ]

I am in the midst of buying a home. The initial contract was signed, inspection done, negotions agreed upon. Loan application being done as we speak (pre-approval done) My realtor recently called and told me I would need to sign the initial contract again because the "seller" is actually in a...

Buying a house with a renters contract on it. [ 1 Answers ]

We found a house that we want to buy but there is a hitch. It is leased until the end of July and the seller wants to sell now! (Not sure why he can't wait for settlement when they move out.)I have read that the lease goes with the home and has be fulfilled. Not really interested in being a...

Buying a Home from a family member.what type of contract? [ 6 Answers ]

What type of contract should I use if I am buying a house from a family member, without going to an attorney? My father owns a house. He obtained a $100,000 loan to have a detached garage added to the property and some remodeling done to the house. After all was said and done, he decided to buy...

View more questions Search