Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ghenyx96 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2006, 07:48 PM
    All about gluthathione
    I am at age of 25 when I heard about this gluthathione advertisement and I have this interest to try taking that food suplement. But I'm not quite too sure if those said in the advertisement were true and safe. Only positive effects are stated by the products label and I don't know behind the bad effect of it. I am really disturbed, because I always have this eagerness to take that medicine but fear hold me of not doing so. Please tell me the effects (positive and negative) if you have ample knowledge or a long time user of this product.
    They said that if you take this gluthathione, you have to take also 3 kinds of vitamin C.Is this true? What are the consequences if you will not take vitamin C with it?

IS THIS SAFE TO USE?

Please enlighten my mind.

Rosegyn
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 31, 2006, 07:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ghenyx96
    you have to take also 3 kinds of vitamin C.Is this true? What are the consequences if you will not take vitamin C with it?
    It is said to help boost the immune system and help in cell regeneration.

I am curious about what you said "3 kinds of vitamin C." Vitamin C is vitamin C.

Here is an excerpt from the PDR (Physician's Desk Reference):

"Though glutathione is undoubtedly a potent antioxidant, indications for its use as a supplement are not yet well established. There is preliminary evidence that it might eventually prove to be useful in the management of some cancers, atherosclerosis, diabetes, lung disorders, noise-induced hearing loss, male infertility and to help prevent or ameliorate various toxicities. It may also have some anti-viral activity. Glutathione is an orphan drug for the treatment of AIDS-associated cachexia."

This supplement should not be used by women who are pregnant or nursing.

As always, before you start a new medication or supplement it is wise to discuss it with your doctor to see if it is right for you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 28, 2008, 10:29 AM
    Yes often selling quack products makes one famous and rich. And to even compare a product like this to polio vaccine is a disgrace.
    bodychemist Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2009, 07:18 PM
    Just remember that glutathione is sold as a "food supplement" just like vitamins. It does not come under the direct supervision of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
    A previous answer of mine to another inquirer was that glutathione alone is not readily absorbed or digested by the human body much the same as Vitamin B-12 is not easily absorbed. In essence its saafe when taken according to the manufacturer's directions, but alas, ineffective. If you are seeking to increase the body's glutathione levels consider whey protein concentrate or isolate but it takes a lot to reach high levels as indicated in the following reference material (click on article title)

Zavorsky, Kubow, Grey, Riverin, Lands. "An open-label dose-response study of lymphocyte glutathione levels in healthy men and women receiving pressurized whey protein isolate supplements". International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition. An open-label dose-response study of lymphocyte glutathione levels in healthy men and women receiving pressurized whey protein isolate supplements - International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2009, 01:10 PM

I will answer this in more detail when I get home but I do believe that it is suppose to be taken with the C vitamins to optimize it. Many supplements need to be taken with others to optimize them

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gluthathione and Diane-35 [ 5 Answers ]

Does anybody know if Glutathione and Diane-35 can be taken together everyday? I want to know if there will be no side effects if taken together. Everybody knows that Glutathione are taken 2-3 times a day and Diane-35 can be taken once a day. Please do help! I'm already 32 years old and will try...

L-Gluthathione [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am just a new member. And I am really in need of an aswer about L-Gluthathione. I have seen how the medicine have worked for my friends and I really want to try it for myself since it is not that after all bad with reagrds to the effects and its benefits of the medicine. The thing is that I...

View more questions Search