Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WalleSox Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2009, 09:51 AM
    I need some assistance finding a new Book to read
    I really love reading, but unfortunately I find it kind of hard to get into a book. This is largely because I'm very specific in the genre I like. I know that some people might view this as just being picky, but, hey, I like what I like.

The types of books that I've really enjoyed include titles such as:

Wicked Lovely - Melissa Marr

Tithe - Holly Black

and

Twilight - Stefanie Meyer

I guess what I'm looking for is a fairy tale for an older audience. I enjoyed the first four Harry Potter books, but they irritated me after that, I think it's because I grew up and he just didn't, same goes for Artemis Fowl.

Any way, I'd really appreciate some suggestions,

And I've read all the sequels to all the listed books, so that's not much good.

Thanks
    Lailu x x
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 25, 2009, 10:05 AM

Young adult --
    Weetzie Bat by Francesca Lia Block
    The Moorchild, by Eloise McGraw

Adult --
    Deborah Turner Harris's The Adept series
    Tom Deitz's David Sullivan series
    Terry Pratchett's Discworld series
    Robert L. Asprin's comic Myth series
    Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover series
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Sep 25, 2009, 10:17 AM

Do you read the ny times book review? It has a lot of interestinf sounding books on there. I usually read the paper version but the online one might be just the same. Books - Sunday Book Review - The New York Times
    YoungHyperLink Posts: 152, Reputation: 13

Sep 25, 2009, 10:21 AM

Have you ever tried C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy? Definitely adult reading compared to his Narnia series. I especially recommend the last of the series, That Hideous Strength. I've really enjoyed those; read them about 4 times over, all three.
    YoungHyperLink Posts: 152, Reputation: 13

Sep 25, 2009, 10:24 AM

Amazon.com: That Hideous Strength (Space Trilogy, Book 3) (9780743234924): C.S. Lewis: Books

Don't let the cover deceive you--it's only half space fiction. I HIGHLY recommend it. :)
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Sep 25, 2009, 10:27 AM
    Have your tried Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series?
    Jim Butcher

Tanith Lee
    Tanith Lee

Meridith Ann Pierce: Darkangel Trilogy
    Meredith Ann Pierce

Patricia C Wrede
    Patricia C Wrede

John DeChancie: Castle Perilous Series
    John DeChancie

Simon Hawke: Wizard of 4th Street series and others
    Simon Hawke

Alan Dean Foster: Spellsinger series
    Alan Dean Foster
    bks2plz Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Sep 25, 2009, 08:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by WalleSox View Post
    I really love reading, but unfortunately I find it kind of hard to get into a book. This is largely due to the fact that I'm very specific in the genre I like. I know that some people might view this as just being picky, but, hey, I like what I like.

The types of books that I've really enjoyed include titles such as:

Wicked Lovely - Melissa Marr

Tithe - Holly Black

and

Twilight - Stefanie Meyer

I guess what I'm looking for is a fairy tale for an older audience. I enjoyed the first four Harry Potter books, but they irritated me after that, I think it's because I grew up and he just didn't, same goes for Artemis Fowl.

Any way, I'd really appreciate some suggestions,

And I've read all the sequels to all the listed books, so that's not much good.

Thanks
    Lailu x x
    YA fantasy novel, Gateway to DreamWorld was released August 20, 2009.

Synopsis: On their way home from baseball tryouts, Brad Colby and his two sons are involved in a terrible car accident that leaves six-year-old Pete in a coma. When Pete awakens, the family is crushed to learn that he is paralyzed.

Meanwhile, Pete’s eight-year-old brother, Jason, has been having powerful dreams that lead him to a mysterious realm known as DreamWorld. Jason discovers that all of his desires can come true in DreamWorld, but the time is fast approaching when he will have to choose between his two worlds.

And when more devastating news strikes at the heart of the Colby family, Jason and Pete set out on a desperate attempt to find the Gateway to DreamWorld and save their family. With time running out on their dangerous path, will Jason and Pete’s fear of the Unknown keep them from reaching the paradise of their dreams?

The book is available from Amazon.com or Barnes&Nobles.com at a discounted price.

Thanks for your time and I hope you enjoy the fantasy.
    roxypox Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 328
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2009, 08:29 AM

I'd check out some of Alice Hoffmans books if you like the more fairytale, fantasy-ish types of books... especially;

Practical Magic and The Probable Future.

Both books are similar in theme and place. Both books have a family of women as focal point and these women have magical powers, as it turns out.

I think these books are a great read and I find that Alice Hoffman has a magical way of writing her stories.
    nedkelly973 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2009, 12:41 PM
    If you like quirky fiction, like Artemis Fowl, you might like the humour of Tom Holt. A cross between Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett. Worth a try.
    kaalvoetkind Posts: 37, Reputation: 3

Sep 29, 2009, 05:22 AM
    I read them a while back but...

Diane Wynne Jones -
    Some of her books function on the principle that big events like the World Wars or The French Revolution create 2 different versions of the world. The one we know and another in which the event "went the other way" and then there are people who can move between these worlds

Tamora Pierce -
    The first of her novels are about a young girl with magic abilities who wants to become a knight

Eragon is not bad either

And apparently Terry Goodkind is nice as well

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Finding a book I read at school [ 1 Answers ]

How do I find a fiction book I read at school, I have no idea of the title or author but can remember bits of the story line.

The president read a book [ 27 Answers ]

Hello: Didja hear? The president read TWO books on history... Nahhhh, NOT the dufus in chief. He doesn't read history (and we can TELL)!! I'm talking about your NEW president. Isn't it nice that were going to have a president who has a strong sense of history?? excon

I need assistance finding an 80s/90s kids fantasy movie [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm 17 and I just remembered this movie I saw when I was a kid, except I couldn't remember it very much. So I'm sorry but my description is kind of vague: From what I remember, I think it was live action but had fantasy creatures in it and the kid(s) got to this fantasy land by sliding down a...

View more questions Search