Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wchennewhome Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2009, 06:56 AM
    Crack shows in the front potch concrete
    Hi, I just bought the new house. When I inspected the house, I found the some cracks in the front Porch concrete area about 2mm slit. The builder said it is OK. I wonder whether it could get bigger crack in the future if not repair now. Thanks, William
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2009, 07:11 AM

Concrete cracks. There is no question about it. Some of the crackinghas to do with poor application of expansion joints or how it was cured and the lack or reenforcing or a poor substrate Concrete is expensive. Concrete poored correctly lasts a long time. The problem could be as simple as the substrate wasn't prepared correctly. I've seen concrete last 40 years without cracking and I've seen it crack in the first year.

The cracking is downplayed because there may not be any guarantee offered. One that I personally ran happened because of how water could collect and freeze. Really it was poor placement of expansion joints.

It caused the corner to break off. I epoxied the corner back on and filled in the area so water would not collect.

We even asked for drains be installed, which were done, but because of how it was poored, the drains didn't help. The repair has held up nicely and it almost undetectable.

What doe shappen is that water penetrates the cracks and freeze/thaw cycles make the cracks bigger.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New garage concrete slab has hairline crack [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, Just completed the pour of a garage foundation and notice there are hairline cracks in the slab. The foundation was pour with 6 sack pea gravel and #4 rebar with a 4" slab. Contractor said it was the way the concrete is dried - too quick... He said he will fix it. Should I be concerned for...

Concrete Crack Filler / Menders [ 7 Answers ]

Any suggestions on products to use to fill a crack that has shown up on our concrete patio. The crack is about 1/8 to 1/4 wide with some spots bigger. Looking for something that I can also paint as I know nothing will match so plan to repaint the patio once the cracks are filled/fixed.

Concrete front steps [ 1 Answers ]

How to Concrete front steps

Front concrete steps [ 4 Answers ]

I have a big space under my front concrete step that is attached to the house (the mud has settled over time, I believe) and its actually suspended over the ground. Roughly a six inch space at the front that gradually slopes downward toward the house (about 18 inches) Should I add more mud to raise...

Pouring concrete over a concrete front porch [ 1 Answers ]

Our front porch has dropped about and inch and a half on the back edge--where the front door is. We would like to pour concrete to level the porch and bring it up an inch or so on the door edge, and maybe 1/2 or 1/4 inch on the front edge. Then we would like to place porcelain tile on the porch....

View more questions Search