Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Robhall26 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2009, 03:07 AM
    Laptop won't start up properly
    Hi
    I am having a problem with my laptop in that it won't start up properly. I left it turned on for a couple of hours without using it and when I went back to it, it looked asif it was in the process of restarting for some reason. However it got to a certain point, the mouse icon appears on a black screen, and then it restarts again.
    I'm not sure why it is doing this as it was working fine when I last used it and I was wondering if anyone can suggest anything to me to help fix it.
    Thanks in advance
    Cedarln2265 Posts: 193, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2009, 05:50 AM

I would check laptop battery first by charging it. In your laptop features phamplet should be how long the battery stays charged. If you use a mouse and it has batteries and stays plugged in the laptop battery does tend to discharge when not in use and not charging.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2009, 06:09 AM
    It sounds it went into Hibernation and had trouble coming out of it. Manually power down the laptop by holdiong in the poser button. Then start it up again and let me know what happens. If you get options like this, then select "Last known good..."

If it keeps rebooting on its own then you have a different problem.

Sep 25, 2009, 07:54 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, I don't think it is a power problem as it was plugged in and charging when the problem occurred.
    I also think it might be a hibernation problem as sometimes I put it into hibernate, but on this occasion I can't remember whether I put it in hibernation or not.
    I have now tried turning off manually and the same thing happens, I don't get any opions coming up.
    It looks as if it will star normally as the mouse icon appears on a black screen but that is as far as it will go before restarting.
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2009, 08:00 AM
    Crap, that sounds like a possible corrupted Registry. Is this XP? Do you have your original XP CD?

Sep 25, 2009, 09:07 AM

No its vista, but I do have the CD
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2009, 09:20 AM
    You can try this: How to automatically repair Windows Vista using Startup Repair
    mentormatt8 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2009, 03:31 PM
    I'm currently experiencing same problem, laptop shuts itself down after several minutes of inactivity. Have you been changing power configurations lately? Especially suspicious is the sleep->hibernate timer. I'm exploring this right now. I saw that in consecutive startups, the Vista would come further and further in the bootup process. Check this out. My solution eventually was just to be patient and let laptop ON for about 30 minutes. Weird: http://annoyances-resolved.blogspot.com/2009/09/laptop-wont-boot-and-shows-blank-screen.html
    mentormatt8 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2009, 03:32 PM
    Just trying to add a clickable link:

Quote Originally Posted by mentormatt8 View Post
    I'm currently experiencing exact same problem, laptop shuts itself down after several minutes of inactivity. Have you been changing power configurations lately? Especially suspicious is the sleep->hibernate timer. I'm exploring this right now. I saw that in consecutive startups, the Vista would come further and further in the bootup process. Check this out. My solution eventually was just to be patient and let laptop ON for about 30 minutes. Weird: Annoyances-Resolved: SOLVED: Laptop won't boot and shows blank screen
    Annoyances-Resolved: SOLVED: Laptop won't boot and shows blank screen
    krz Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2009, 02:57 PM
    If that's not it, it sounds like a BSOD and you have windows set to reboot on critical failures, which is why you may not see the screen before it reboots. If the above doesn't work I'd suggest trying to get into safe mode and check the registry and undo the last thing you did before it crashed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My laptop won't start [ 5 Answers ]

I have a toshiba P205D-S8804 satellite. I got it 3 months ago. The silly thing won't boot. I just see a dark screen. It has windows vista on it. When I tried windows auto repair, it said it can't be fixed automatically. Help me oh please help me. How do I use the recovery disc

Laptop start up [ 2 Answers ]

I have an HP Laptop Pavillon DV9000. The lights come on but the computer will not run when the start button is pushed. Just the lights come on. It appears like I have accidentally locked my computer. Nothing runs. I wonder if you might help me?

Hp laptop won't start--ideas? [ 1 Answers ]

My HP ze4530 (purchased November 2003) won't turn on. I push the power button, and it lights up for a split second and then goes off. It will start to turn itself on for a whil, but no luck. Can I buy a part or something to fix it? (I have heard that it may have overheated, which would cause...

My laptop will not start at all [ 1 Answers ]

I have a sony laptop running XP. I was browsing and suddenly it just froze up. I tried to end task, then I just shut it down. Now it will not do anything. When I turn it on, the lights turn on, and a little fan spins for a sec, the nothing else... at all. I can't even get to any bios or...

View more questions Search